How high is too high for CH? Do I ever need to add chlorine to saltwater pool?

Reb67

Jul 14, 2015
San Antonio, TX
I just started using my TF-100 kit and got accurate CH readings for the first time. I came up with 600! Is this normal for a new pool which was just plastered this spring? Is there a problem with a reading this high? Also, our pool builder provided us with several bags of 3" chlorine tabs and a floater basket for dissolving them. I have been putting them in but wondered if this was needed if I have a chlorine generator. I decided to take out the basket and see what would happen. The chlorine plummeted to about 1 from a previous reading of 4.5. The chlorine generator was at 30% and is now at 60%. I'm going to recheck the chemistry after the filter runs this afternoon. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the wisdom.

Welcome!

The FC has no relation to CH. Your CH is high, but as for normal, I would have to see your fill water CH level. Higher CH and TA, are not uncommon in a new pool at all, but please run a TA on your fill water and report back.

You're going to also need to know your CYA or stabilizer level. You shouldn't ever need to use trichlor tablets in a pool with a SWG. Once you have enough CYA (but not too much) you'll be able to keep your free chlorine levels high enough for sanitation as the CYA protects the FC from being consumed rapidly by sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.