Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring Water For Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Measuring Water For Testing

Just wondering how you really are supposed to measure your water for testing. Not the amount of water in the pool, but the amount of water that will go in the tube in the test kit.

I have been dipping the test kit in the pool, at least up to my elbow, and then dumping out any excess water. wouldn't it be more accurate if I had a syringe or something to get better accuracy?

Or am I really over thinking this and just getting the amount of water "close enough" is ok?
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Measuring Water For Testing

Most here use a sample bottle to collect water for testing. I have a dollar store condiment bottle. The kind many restaurants use. To fill, I dip it about 18 inches under, holding it upside down, then turn it over to fill. The tip is just long enough to fill the test vial to 25 ml line. It makes it quick and easy to collect enough water for all the tests.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It's best to take a larger sample of water from below the surface and dispense from that into the testing tubes. Just make sure it's a clean container you only use for sampling water. The best sampling containers are plastic squeeze bottles that make filling test tubes very easy. Such as these:

I use one like the one on the left. To fill the bottle itself, I'm even lazier. Don't even put my arm in the pool. I use a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe about 5 feet long. Dunk most of it underwater, put my thumb over the top, pull it out of the water then drain the water into my bottle when I release my thumb.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I use this to take a sample about 30 inches deep (works like a pipette) and fill a Leslie's water sample bottle. My hands/arms never get wet. Leslies give the water bottles out for free.

27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

glass pyrex. it's so hot here, I take it inside and do all the testing.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

You are not over thinking. For accuracy, you can use a syringe or you can order a sample sizer from Welcome to Taylor Technologies (I tried the TFTTest kits site, but it must be down) You can order if from TSTTestkits.

Glass is not allowed around my pool!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I use a turkey baster. Lets me get a sample from deeper down without getting my arm wet and easy to fill the cylinders right to the proper level.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

What great ways to get the water! Thank you! Both for the ideas and for making me think I'm not crazy.