Which return jets do I need for concrete block?

nxslt1

Jul 8, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I'm just starting on a 20x40 concrete block and liner pool and I don't know which return jets to use. How do yall do this? I've only had an above ground pool before and those jet "holders" had a flange on one side and a nut on the other and basically sandwich the pool wall in between them then the eyeball part screws in. Is this what I need to do on the block or is there something different I need? The old ones from the above ground pool don't have enough thread to sandwich it like that. How do I keep the jet firmly in place?

Pipe rat has a concrete block thread. I'd post the link but am unsure how to do that. But you can find it if you search for it. I'm sure someone more adept at these things than me will steer you where you need to go. They all have pretty good advice.

Good luck and happy pool build!

I just built a concrete block and used three of these Hayward SP1408. This one has a thick enough collar that you can get the 'plastic nut' on in the block core wall 'nearest' the pool water side. I ran 2" piping for both the returns and drain/skimmers - I couldn't find a return inlet that was plumbed for 2" these are 1.5" so I got a reducer. These do have enough thread to go through the thickness of a normal block wall (3/4" or whatever it is). I might have had to turn the nut around to get the extra clearance, but they were secure for sure. I ended up filling my cores with mortar, so they aren't coming out and the nut really didn't do much other than hold it in place until the mortar setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F8K740?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I used a diamond grit hole saw and went through both sides of the block. I tried various other hole saws, and they didn't work well.

http://www.zoro.com/bosch-diamond-grit-hole-saw-diamond-grit-3-in-hdg3/i/G2812555/

I ended up using ridgid PVC around the fixtures and flex PVC home runs to the pool equipment pad. Be sure you use the fittings made for pressure, the one you get at HD or Lowes have short necks so the glued joint isn't as strong as the ones you get at plumb supply houses. Using the flex PVC eliminates most of the fittings.
You won't find a ton of information on concrete block pools, sort of old school so if you have any other questions - I am just finishing up my build.

That helps greatly, thanks! I just dug the footer yesterday and have a question about that. Im digging the deep end after i get the walls up. The inside edge is pretty jagged at the top so I'm gonna have to form up the inside edge of the footer to make it smooth enough for when I dig the deep end so I won't have all the jaggedness sticking out when I start sloping it. Did you have to do this or am I doing it wrong? I'm in TN and we have nothing but red clay and big rock so trying to "chop" off a smooth edge with a shovel is pretty much impossible.

That helps greatly, thanks! I just dug the footer yesterday and have a question about that. Im digging the deep end after i get the walls up. The inside edge is pretty jagged at the top so I'm gonna have to form up the inside edge of the footer to make it smooth enough for when I dig the deep end so I won't have all the jaggedness sticking out when I start sloping it. Did you have to do this or am I doing it wrong? I'm in TN and we have nothing but red clay and big rock so trying to "chop" off a smooth edge with a shovel is pretty much impossible.
I did a 5' consistent depth pool so mine is a a bit different. I dug the hole,, put up plywood forms 12"x12", with rebar running in the middle, poured the footers.
Than layed block down the middle of the footers.
I originally though of having concrete footers and floor all poured at once, but was talked out of that with the llikelyhood of the concrete floor cracking. I did a vermiciulte floor once all the block was up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.