Do I need pool cleaner with four wheels?

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Shopping for a pool cleaner and the guy at the store told me due to the slope of my pool I should go with one with four wheels. No one else has recommended this. Pool is 38' in length and goes from 3.5' - 7'.

Anyone have a similar pool or experience in this area?

OK so I think figured out why I need the 4 wheel unit vs. two. Yes, it does better in deep end but I think I would have been fine with two, the four wheel unit is designed for "larger" pools and doesn't turn as often thus letting it hopefully run the length of your pool (in my case 38') or close to it prior to turning. Now that seems like a pretty good reason to upgrade to the four wheel unit.

It seems these pool store guys don't have a clue. Yesterday I figured since I'd be there looking at cleaners I'd take my water in and have it tested. Guy told me I had zero CYA. I pointed out to him how much conditioner I'd put in to date and the fact that I'm using trichlor tabs for the past two weeks. He tests again and suddenly I have CYA . . . not the first such experience I've had there.

If you go with The Pool Cleaner get the 4-wheel model as it will be better for your size of pool. I would say it has the highest rate of satisfaction amongst the members who have suction cleaners.

The 4 wheel Pool Cleaner won't go close to the length of your pool before turning. Mine makes it maybe 15' at best before it turns. The 4 wheel version is designed to pull the long hose required for larger pools.

I'd love to try the 2 wheel version to see if it makes the wall transition better than the 4. My 4 wheel seems to get stuck at the bottom of the wall and waste time there. You may have better luck with the better grip it will get on your pool surface.

I wish they come up with a design that wouldn't get stuck on the drain. Mine will occasionally even knock the extra large drain cover I got loose.

I still like mine pretty well.

I ended-up going with the Hayward branded version of The Pool Cleaner called the Aquaaut 400 (four wheel version). NPS ended-up throwing in a med leaf canister which I upgraded to the large because it had a mesh bag to catch smaller pieces which should result in fewer filter cleanings.

Got it for $449 with a $100 mail in rebate which I immediately handed to my wife who is totally on top of those types of things. If it was up to me it would sit on my desk for two years and then I'd be upset I didn't mail it in . . .

Working on getting salt going in the pool right now so I'm not sure if I'll put her in the pool while I'm adding salt, guess I'll see how well the salt dissolves first. Any thoughts here?

I have a cleaner line mid-way in the pool and the 2 wheel works fine for a 36' pool (max travel path is around 18'). When talking with the owner of the company many years ago, he said the 4 wheel would be good if you are trying to run the cleaner from one end of the pool like with a skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 4-wheel pressure The Pool Cleaner and it never climbs the walls. Not a problem for my covered pool that doesn't get that dirty and one should brush the walls periodically anyway since just having a cleaner go over them isn't the same as physical brushing.

Even though mine will climb the walls, I don't believe it really accomplishes anything. It doesn't have a brush and it is only a vacuum so why bother. So I purposely put the float fairly high so it doesn't climb the walls too far except in the deep end.

Thanks for the input, so far she's doing a great job. Still dialing in rpm, run time, do I turn skimmers off when running vac, do I install an actuator on the valve for skimmer and vac and automate the procedure? Any tips?

The four wheel version was $20 more so I figured for the minimal upgrade why not. Very glad I bought the canister with a bag, neighbor had his palms trimmed yesterday AFTER I had cleaned my filters, the bag caught all the small stuff that would have gone into my filters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.