Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Hayward Pro Series S210T leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Hayward Pro Series S210T leak

Here are the pictures of the filter and the problem when I removed the old pressure gauge and replaced with a new one. It never seated properly and I have tried several minor fixes including the putty yesterday. Nothing is stopping the leak. My question, is there a fix for this or should I just replace the collar?

Thank you as always for your great advice and expertise!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Hayward Pro Series S210T leak

I tried to search for answers yesterday and found this link Leak in return fitting - use plumbers putty? EDIT fixed and wanted to follow the link in post #8 but it is a deal link; can anyone resurrect it?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Testing testing 123...is this thing on?!?!

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I love your sense of humor. Not sure how you sealed the gauge or if the threads were crossed. I would remove the gauge entirely then clean the threads on the gauge and inside the valve housing. Use either Teflon tape (only a few wraps) or a paste on sealant. From where you placed the putty is there a crack below the gauge, if yes the housing will need to be replaced. Better to buy a whole new valve. SP0714T is the model number of the complete valve. I believe you also private messaged me and I did respond.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you use theflon tape? If not it will leak, and even if you do you have to screw it all the way.
    When wrapping the tape mind the direction or it will start unwrapping as you screw it in.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to both for the replies. I always use teflon tape. It now has teflon tape and plumber's epoxy. I spoke with HaywardPool and it looks like I am going to have to replace the multi-valve unless anyone else has another idea. I have toyed with Loctite since I may have to replace the multi-valve anyway just to see. I would just be out the cost of a new gauge plus the cost of the multi-valve. Thoughts?

7. Back To Top    #7

If there is a leak and you are sure it IS from where the gauge goes in, AND there isn't any cracks, this could mean that the previous gauge sonehow damaged the thread. So the theflon tape dies not quite seal it.

You can, before you replace the valve, try this:

use silicone caulk, enough to coat the seal but so it would not plug the gauge orifice, but it needs to be inside before the gauge goes in. In otger words it has to fill the thread between the gauge and valve. You can try it without the tape.
    This might be one time deal if it works, though potentially silicon then could be cleaned out. Right now you need to buy tome, might as well try.

When done with it (if you decide to) let it cure before turning water on.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am not convinced that it is not cracked. It is on the backside of the filter within about 6" of the housing of the pool equipment so there is no way to get my eyes directly on the issue. The photo is with the camera on my phone reversed and I suppose I could remove the gauge and try and zoom in with my camera and see. IF it is CRACKED, any harm in trying Loctite?

9. Back To Top    #9

Depends how far the crack goes.

My principle in fixing these things, if it is under 100 bucks and is gonna take long time for me to fix, buy new.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Just to let everyone know this person private messaged me and he will need to remove the valve from the filter to look and see if there is a crack. At the same time he is going to add some unions so this will be easier in the future.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com