Sparkly to Green in Hours (Pics)

Jul 26, 2014
Annapolis, MD
Faithful TFP'er here.

Had a big storm last night. Due to some in-progress landscaping the rain water ran over exposed, recently raked, loose dirt plus some fertilizer-rich sod and into the pool.

Searching previous posts the recommendation with dirt in the pool is to let it settle and vacuum but the DE filter only has push-pull handle so this is not an option plus the water is green.

TF-100 as of 7pm last night, before storm:
FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
Temp: 84

Results from Sunday (7/12)
cya: 40
CH: 250
TA: 100

When the rain stopped I checked the pool and even with a flashlight knew all was not well. Normally I can see the bottom in the deep end with a flashlight as though looking through glass.

About 2-3am this morning:
Skimmed debris
Backwashed to reduce water in pool.
Recharged DE
Added 12.5% chlorine to raise FC to 12
Ran filter for an hour and shut off

6:30am:
Turned on pump
Vacuumed dirt that had settled
Added MA to drop FC from 7.5 to 7.2

7:30am
FC: 11
CC: .5
Added 12.5% chlorine to raise FC to 16
Temp: 82

8:30am:
Backwashed and recharged filter

9:30am:
FC: 16

My plan is to continue SLAM unless anyone recommends otherwise. Open to any additional recommendations - and yes, I do realize POP will be needed ;-)

And for the pics:
Overall pool (pic looks worse than pool):
DSC00229.jpg

Steps:
DSC00236.jpg

Deep End (thermometer in water):
DSC00237.jpg

Pool Deck:
DSC00235.jpg

Not to hijack, but if FC levels were maintained properly, how could this happen?

Edit:
Is it because of the volume of organics added to the pool overwhelmed the FC, reducing it to 0 in a short amount of time?

Dom

Hi Dom,

The FC was not reduced to 0; in fact I have no reason to believe it dropped below minimum FC levels.

So far there has been no loss of FC since raising it to shock level this morning.

There has been a lot of dirt in the backwash water the 2 times it's been backwashed today.

If your FC didn't drop then vacuuming and filtering should very quickly clear the pool and a full SLAM may not be required. However if organic matter is left in there for any length of time you will see the FC drop.

Progress, incl. pics

2:30pm
FC: 15

Pool normally looses 1.2 to 2 ppm FC per day. Despite the color this morning nothing indicates an algae bloom, just dirt. Have backwashed and vacuumed again.

Overall:
DSC00239.jpg

Steps:
DSC00241.jpg

Deep End:
DSC00240.jpg

If your FC didn't drop then vacuuming and filtering should very quickly clear the pool and a full SLAM may not be required. However if organic matter is left in there for any length of time you will see the FC drop.

Thanks chiefwej.

- - - Updated - - -

That may not even be algae.

Dom

I agree :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.