Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Questions

This is our 20x40 Vinyl IG Pool built in March 2003. As you can see, it is bordered by red bricks. We did not install this pool, and have no contact with the construction company who did, so I am looking here for help. There is a small gap in between the actual concrete pads around the pool and the red bricks. In most parts it is filled with a concrete like substance, but in others there is something that looks like silicone caulking. The silicone parts are starting to lift and pull out, and the concrete like parts are breaking up and falling out. Any suggestions on who to hire to fix this or if it is even a DIY project? The bricks are also falling apart in places, so I am also wondering who to hire to fix those. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am new to the pool business, we just purchased this house two years ago, and I am wondering if this is normal wear or whether they should have lasted longer.
    36k, IG vinyl, Tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger pump, built 3/2003, Intellichlor SWG 7/2012 in South Central KS
    Dolphin Diagnostic Cleaner, Taylor 2006 test kit & K-1766 Sodium Chloride test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Spring, TX

Re: Concrete Questions

Sounds like they used grout and in some areas it was cracking up so the used some caulk to patch it up.
    One DIY solution for this would be to dig out the caulk and the grout and then use one of those driveway expansion joint fillers.
    It comes in caulk gun tubes. Something like this:

When you say the "bricks are also falling apart" are they crumbling or are they loose and coming off.
    - If they are crumbling and is only the odd brick you could just replace these.
    - If it is a lot of them, the original choice of brick was wrong for use as coping. That is a contractor job to replace all your coping.
    - If they are just coming loose, then the loose ones need to be removed cleaned of thinset/grout and re-set and re-grouted.

This should be done prior to re doing the expansion joint.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

western NY

Any good concrete company should be able to get the caulking material to fill those gaps for you. The material is similar to a rubber compound and comes in large caulking tubes. Properly done it should last for a few years. The usual culprits that cause early failure is the fact that the deck heaves with the winter frosts and the pool does not.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Central Minnesota

It can be done DIY or by a contractor. Old, broken grout should be removed completely including bedding mortar below the bricks if they are loose. An epoxy based grout would be best to use to replace old grout as it will stand up to the pool environment better. A stone mason who regularly does brick and block work would be the best person, if you choose to hire someone.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Long Island new york

I may be wrong but it could be for expansion joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk