Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you do rocks again???

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you do rocks again???

If you were to do your build over again - would you have natural rocks that drop into the waterline?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would you do it again???

I just finished my pool - and my rocks are under the waterline. I wouldn't want it any other way. Have you seen a pool where the rocks are just installed on the top? I hate to say it, but it sometimes looks like an afterthought. Personally I love the look of the rocks coming up out of the water. If you are going to spend that much money adding rocks - you are going to want them to look like part of the pool and not just sat on top. NOW - other people may not notice things like that - but I have researched and drooled over so many pictures, I would notice it. (at least on my pool)

Now, it is YOUR pool. If you like the look of it, go for it! I promise when you have a big pool party all the people swimming in your pool - not one is going to come to you and say, dude - your rocks aren't in the water!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Would you do it again???

I only have about 6'. A few weeks ago I had my first algae spots in 3 years and that is where they showed up. So, I am a little biased right now. But, they have been, and are now, completely algae free and troublefree for 3 years. So, as long as you keep your chlorine level at target level at all times it will be fine and they will stay clean.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Would you do rocks again???

I have them under the water lien and agree with Sunbaby. The look is much different that way.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

5. Back To Top    #5

Has anyone ever had trouble with getting algae on the rock waterfalls? I didn't know if they attracted algae or not.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I don't know about algae, but my neighbor's rock waterfall is covered on calcium deposits and is eroding badly from the salt water in the pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

the calcium deposts the develp over time are the biggest downside at least IMO. It sticks out like a sore thumb and not all that easy to get off because the rock surface is not smooth. They do look awesome though.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

No issues with algae in my waterfall or calcium deposits.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach