Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated dealing with a fine "dust"

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated dealing with a fine "dust"

So I am having a problem with a very fine yellowish green "dust" substance in the pool. I am 99.9% certain is is not algae.... At least nothing living. We are talking very fine like talcum powder. It literally is only on flat surfaces and blows right off if you wave your hand.

The kreepy crawly vac cuts a swath right through it but the problem is it ends up just stirring things up and I end up with a cloudy pool because the particulate is just suspended in the water column.

This was a pic prior to vacation. It was the same scenario when I got back. The water was crystal clear just the dust on the bottom.

So what is the best way to rid this? I don't think the filter cartridge is catching it all. I started manually vacuuming this morning rinsing the filter often.

Do the robot vacs do a much better job with fine particles? Was thinking maybe a slimebag but no one locally sells them.
    My water params are all good
    FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CYA ~35
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frustrated dealing with a fine "dust"

Is there dust all over your car and lawn furniture? If so it could be dust. But, I really don;t like that color. How about an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to make sure it's not living?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Is there dust all over your car and lawn furniture? If so it could be dust. But, I really don;t like that color. How about an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to make sure it's not living?
    The overnight tests were < .5 loss. The patio furniture does have a dust on it as well from the evaporated rains.
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Just finished vac'ing the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here it is now...

The water is only cloudy due to the suspended particles. If I let it sit for a couple of days it will all settle to the bottom of the pool and the water will be clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

That color (on the filter photo and on the earlier picture of settled stuff on the bottom of the pool) sure looks like algae, though, doesn't it...

Did you do the full OCLT, starting with elevated FC (at least 10, if I remember a recommendation I saw recently), and measuring for CC the next morning, as well as the overnight loss of FC?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

7. Back To Top    #7

Also before we got the monsoons rain last month the water was fine. I did get a small tinge of algae before this issue and slammed the pool. All was good for a week or so then the rains for 2-3 weeks. Been dealing with this since.

8. Back To Top    #8

Even if it is just pollen, the organic load will be high so why not take it up to slam level for a few days, keep vacuuming and put a skimmer sock on the skimmer?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    That color (on the filter photo and on the earlier picture of settled stuff on the bottom of the pool) sure looks like algae, though, doesn't it...

Did you do the full OCLT, starting with elevated FC (at least 10, if I remember a recommendation I saw recently), and measuring for CC the next morning, as well as the overnight loss of FC?
    For the sake of the argument I just took the chlorine from 8 to the slam level of 16. I will con firm the FC level in about 1/2 hour after it circulates a bit. I will keep it at that level all day and test the overnight loss in the morning.

I still think the particulate is very fine and very dense thus it sinks to the bottom of the pool eventually and just doesn't get picked up by the filter. So my fear is that even if I slam (which i don't think is the problem, but i could be wrong) I will still end up with the particulate issue in the end.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Even if it is just pollen, the organic load will be high so why not take it up to slam level for a few days, keep vacuuming and put a skimmer sock on the skimmer?
    I will none the less but I will check the local pool store for the socks. And see if that helps with the particulate.

11. Back To Top    #11

That looks like algae to me too. Both the water itself and the filter.

Do you have current test results??
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

12. Back To Top    #12

Yesterday I had a FC of 6 and the trichlor cartridge was empty( ran it while on vacation) I added 24 oz of 8.25% bleach to boost it a bit while the vac ran most of the day. Didn't test right after adding the bleach but this morning it was still at 8. Prior to vacation I had been keeping it at ~7ppm.

I don't know of an algae that does not attach itself to something other than brown diatoms that feed on silicates. I keep a saltwater reef aquarium. I also agree that the color looks similar to algae or pollen.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just confirming current FC is 16ppm slam level. I will keep it there throughout the day and test overnight loss in the morning.

14. Back To Top    #14

Tested and still at 15.5 FC at noon.

15. Back To Top    #15

Can you post a full set of results please?? And note whether it was strips, pool store or your own test.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: Frustrated dealing with a fine &quot;dust&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    Can you post a full set of results please?? And note whether it was strips, pool store or your own test.
    Posted them earlier but here they are again from the TF100 kit

FC 15.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5(before super chlorination)
    TA 120
    CA did not test since it is vinyl
    CYA 35ish

Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    So I am having a problem with a very fine yellowish green "dust" substance in the pool. I am 99.9% certain is is not algae.... At least nothing living. We are talking very fine like talcum powder. It literally is only on flat surfaces and blows right off if you wave your hand.

The kreepy crawly vac cuts a swath right through it but the problem is it ends up just stirring things up and I end up with a cloudy pool because the particulate is just suspended in the water column.

This was a pic prior to vacation. It was the same scenario when I got back. The water was crystal clear just the dust on the bottom.

So what is the best way to rid this? I don't think the filter cartridge is catching it all. I started manually vacuuming this morning rinsing the filter often.

Do the robot vacs do a much better job with fine particles? Was thinking maybe a slimebag but no one locally sells them.
    My water params are all good
    FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CYA ~35

17. Back To Top    #17

looks like it could be pollen, we get a lot of pollen in the spring but it all sits in the corners and deep end.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    looks like it could be pollen, we get a lot of pollen in the spring but it all sits in the corners and deep end.
    That's what I am thinking as well but to satisfy the masses I elevated my chlorine to SLAM levels and will keep it there throughout today and test for loss overnight. I expect it to be nil <.5 which brings me back to why is it so difficult to catch the pariculate?I let the pool cleaner run as in the above pic but after 30 minutes the pool just clouds up as if it is just bypassing the filter and throwing it into the water. I mean it catches some of it but I would expect my filter to be clogged up after that much. The pick of the filter being rinsed was after maybe 15 hours. I am running the pump on low speed and it is showing 3-4 psi on the gauge.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    That's what I am thinking as well but to satisfy the masses I elevated my chlorine to SLAM levels and will keep it there throughout today and test for loss overnight. I expect it to be nil <.5 which brings me back to why is it so difficult to catch the pariculate?I let the pool cleaner run as in the above pic but after 30 minutes the pool just clouds up as if it is just bypassing the filter and throwing it into the water. I mean it catches some of it but I would expect my filter to be clogged up after that much. The pick of the filter being rinsed was after maybe 15 hours. I am running the pump on low speed and it is showing 3-4 psi on the gauge.
    Sounds like a plan .... eliminate algae as the culprit and if that is the case move on to the next possible cause.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

20. Back To Top    #20

Is there any way you can vacuum slowly and bypass the filter and make the water go out of the pool to the ground as you vacuum? What if you take the hose off of the return and aim it to the ground? You can turn your valves to slow down the output of water so you will not lose so much?

Just throwing idea out there...............

You can use cheap knee highs from any store to put in the skimmer basket.

Hummmmmmmm what about two pairs of knee highs with some paper towels between them to catch the stuff as you vacuum???

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast