Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Hi all,
    I have read pool school a couple times and read up quite a bit on testing. I just opened my first pool the first time in my life. I have never owned a pool before.

    I have everything hooked up right. Confirmed by pool guys who added water. Everything is running great. But I do have a failed pressure gauge I will be changing today. It reads 0 at all times. The pump is pumping very well and filtering and backwashing properly.

    I just had about 2500 gallons added to my pool to bring it up to full height. I just moved into my new house with a pool. Appears they took very good care of it. I got it uncovered and the water looked ready to jump into aside from being about 12" low. Perfectly clear and just smelled like pool. So now it is full and filtering as of last night around 6pm.

    I used my new K-2006 and ran some tests. Here are my findings. (NO CHEMICALS HAVE BEEN ADDED WHATSOEVER AT THIS POINT)

    FC = 4.6
    CC = .4
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 120
    CYA = 50-55

    I am getting lost in the pool of information I am finding here. All the research I have done has gotten me to this point and I thank all contributors to this sight! What a wealth of information. But can somebody tell me about these numbers and what the "next" steps are? My buddies at work all say "shock the H out of it and go from there." That doesn't feel right to me.

    Maybe somebody can point me to the next piece of info I need to get going? Or where to start? Or can we jump in? The numbers from what I have been reading all look within range aside from a high FC?

    The pool gets sun from maybe 8am til maybe 6pm. Its way out in a big yard so when the sun is bright it is in the sun basically.

    Thanks for any help!
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    First, Welcome to TFP!!

    Second - ignore your buddies at work. Go swimming.

    But, if you are going to follow our methods, your AFC is a little low. CYA 60 means your FC should never be below 5, and you should target 7 to make sure it never gets below 5. Add some bleach to bring it up to 7.

    What does "smelled like pool" mean? The chlorine smell many assign to a pool is actually the CC, which should get burned off by the suns UV rays.

    Also, it appears you are using 25 mL sample for 0.2 ppm accuracy. You can go ahead and use 10 mL sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. It will save you reagents and is close enough for us.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Wow that was fast! And thanks for welcoming me!

    Could it be that easy? All I did was have a pool company top off the water... It just feels too easy I guess. I was going to watch the FC daily and keep it up close to where it is now? Looks like Im looking for a FC reading of 6. Ill keep an eye on things and post back if anything comes up.

    Thanks again!
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arab, Alabama
    Posts
    422

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Welcome to TFP! I agree with Tim, get in that pool! I would round up your CYA to 60 and make sure your FC stays between 5 - 7. Target 7 and do not let it go below 5. You can do this by adding plain old household 8.5% bleach. Use the Pool Math app to calculate the amount of bleach to add. Great value brand bleach is what I use...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

    Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Welcome!

    Yes, go back and read up in Pool School. Start again with the ABCs, and onto other items like recommended levels. Read around in the forum, and ask questions if you need too. We are here to help as long as you are willing to learn. If your water is clear, I am slightly concerned with the CC. Double check the CC reading first, and do that test with a 10ml sample instead of 25. It's the only thing I see, but if it shows 1.0 or more then hold off. Let us know what you get on a new 10ml test. Running a smaller sample in this case saves on that tiny amount found in the 2006 kit. It is more than accurate enough at 10ml just FYI, so no worries there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arab, Alabama
    Posts
    422

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    In addition when you use the 10 ml sample multiply the number of drops by 0.5...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

    Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jaduck View Post
    Welcome to TFP! I agree with Tim, get in that pool! I would round up your CYA to 60 and make sure your FC stays between 5 - 7. Target 7 and do not let it go below 5. You can do this by adding plain old household 8.5% bleach. Use the Pool Math app to calculate the amount of bleach to add. Great value brand bleach is what I use...
    Thanks for the response!

    Definitely following the BBB method. I stocked up on Great Value brand last week after reading pool school and all about BBB. It is 8.25 and I found it for $2.49 at a local Walmart. That was for 128 oz I believe. I also grabbed some Borax and Baking Soda to have on hand as I didn't know what I was getting into. I will retest when I get home from work and add what is needed based on the pool math app.

    So adding CYA to get up to 60. I assume you advise this based on the sun exposure? Just learning where this is coming from. I see 30 to 50 most places but have read in pool school to go higher if I get lots of sun on the pool. To add CYA is it best to go to the pool store and buy "Cyanuric Acid"? Or should I be looking for a Chlorine/CYA additive like I see in stores?
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojin7 View Post
    Definitely following the BBB method. I stocked up on Great Value brand last week after reading pool school and all about BBB. It is 8.25 and I found it for $2.49 at a local Walmart. That was for 128 oz I believe. I also grabbed some Borax and Baking Soda to have on hand as I didn't know what I was getting into. I will retest when I get home from work and add what is needed based on the pool math app.

    So adding CYA to get up to 60. I assume you advise this based on the sun exposure? Just learning where this is coming from. I see 30 to 50 most places but have read in pool school to go higher if I get lots of sun on the pool. To add CYA is it best to go to the pool store and buy "Cyanuric Acid"? Or should I be looking for a Chlorine/CYA additive like I see in stores?
    No need to change the CYA for that little bit, it's within the margin of error. Just tredat the pool as if it's 60. Test every month or so and if you see it drop to 50 just change your dosing schedule.

    We really don't "promote" the BBB name anymore due to the fact that folks like you stock up. You may never need the Borax and if you need baking soda it's going to be a long time from now.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome!

    Yes, go back and read up in Pool School. Start again with the ABCs, and onto other items like recommended levels. Read around in the forum, and ask questions if you need too. We are here to help as long as you are willing to learn. If your water is clear, I am slightly concerned with the CC. Double check the CC reading first, and do that test with a 10ml sample instead of 25. It's the only thing I see, but if it shows 1.0 or more then hold off. Let us know what you get on a new 10ml test. Running a smaller sample in this case saves on that tiny amount found in the 2006 kit. It is more than accurate enough at 10ml just FYI, so no worries there.
    Loving pool school and definitely loving the direct help. Thanks for the recommendations. Using the K-2006, here is how my FC and CC test went. I did this all twice.
    1. 25ml sample
    2. Added two dippers. Turned VERY pink. How do you measure with the dipper? Two full tall scoops? or two level scoop? I did 2 level scoops.
    3. I added R-0871. It took 23 drops to turn is totally clear. Took my time. Swirled well each drop after the first few.
    4. 23 drops times .2 = 4.6ppm FC
    5. Added 5 drops R-0003. It turned SLIGHTLY pink.
    6. Added R-0871 again. The second drop turned it totally clear.
    7. 2 drops times .2 = .4 ppm

    Does this sound like a good test? I did the whole thing again using the 10ml method. FC was 5 and CC was .5 as it only took on drop. But again, the first time I added the R-0871 it was very red, second part of test, slightly pink.
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Yup, good test. One heaping scoop of the powder will work, i never use two.

    10ml water sample size testing with .5 accuracy is fine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    No need to change the CYA for that little bit, it's within the margin of error. Just tredat the pool as if it's 60. Test every month or so and if you see it drop to 50 just change your dosing schedule.

    We really don't "promote" the BBB name anymore due to the fact that folks like you stock up. You may never need the Borax and if you need baking soda it's going to be a long time from now.
    Thanks.

    When you say "dosing schedule" are you referring to adding CYA or adding Chlorine?

    Also, I only stocked up on bleach luckily. I didn't buy any more Borax or baking soda then I would need around the house anyway. Thank you for clearing that up.
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Thanks. The test procedure instructions are great but as a first timer I was trying to distinguish pinks and reds and wondering how things should look. Thanks for confirmation on that.

    Patrick had mentioned that the CC may concern him due to the water being clear... "If your water is clear, I am slightly concerned with the CC. Double check the CC reading first, and do that test with a 10ml sample instead of 25. It's the only thing I see, but if it shows 1.0 or more then hold off." I don't know what to make of that. If CC is that low should the water be cloudy? Looking for a little clarification of the concern so maybe I can know what to look out for.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Yup, good test. One heaping scoop of the powder will work, i never use two.

    10ml water sample size testing with .5 accuracy is fine.
    Thanks. I felt like it was so scientific until I thought to myself "well how big of a scoop?" That doesn't throw things off?
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojin7 View Post
    When you say "dosing schedule" are you referring to adding CYA or adding Chlorine?
    Chlorine. As you dose chlorine based on the CYA level, if the CYA drops, drop the chlorine accordingly.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Thanks! And thank all of you for the information. I'm gonna go home... Check my FC... and add bleach as needed. Looks like for my pool I should need about 22 Oz to raise 1 ppm? Approximating 15000 gallons. ..

    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  15. Back To Top    #15


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    that is done perfect

    But, isnt there always a but.... Your FC is below 5, if you have been taking it to 7 every day and its below 5 in the morning you should probably take it to 8..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    that is done perfect

    But, isnt there always a but.... Your FC is below 5, if you have been taking it to 7 every day and its below 5 in the morning you should probably take it to 8..
    Gotcha. But (of course another but) I just had the water added to full level at 3 pm yesterday and did my tests at 7 pm last night. But I'll see how it goes. I see what you mean about compensating. That makes sense.

    Now to figure out my filter time and schedule. Been running it since it was filled.

    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Just see what the CC is. It's likely fine. As for scoops, I only use 2 if I run a 25ml sample size.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Coventry, CT
    Posts
    22

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Just see what the CC is. It's likely fine. As for scoops, I only use 2 if I run a 25ml sample size.
    Yesterday.
    CC with the 25ml test was .4
    With the 10ml test .5

    Today
    CC with the 10 ml test was .5? Took one drop to be completely clear.

    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Can my readings be right? Looking for advice

    Perfect, that's what you want, so go enjoy it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •