Help me run new Pipes for my pump and filter, please

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hello everyone.

The previous owner slapped together the plumbing you see in the attached picture. The hose that worries me is the beige colored one that comes up from the pump. If it bursts it'll send thousands of gallons of water against my house.

So could you tell me what pipes, quick connects (unions?), adapters, etc. that I need to do things properly, while making it easy to remove the setup for the winter? I store everything in my basement or the shed as I live near Boston (enough said) during the winter.

Thanks in advance!

attachment.php

You just want to use regular schedule 40 fittings and pipe with a union above the pump so you can disconnect it.
You will need some male threaded couplers and a 90 fitting and some pipe.

I would get rid of as many of those pipe clamps as possible and switch to PVC.

It looks like he needs to make a U-shape instead of going straight up so he doesn't have to be extremely precise.

The fittings will either be 1-1/2" or 2", you're going to need to measure. I agree with replacing as much as you can with PVC. You also need to pick up PVC primer and PVC cement. ACE is usually the most helpful hardware store in my area and you'll save if you buy long sections of pipe instead of shorter sections at big box stores. If it won't fit, bring a hacksaw in case they can't cut it for you. If you don't have one buy one because you'll need it for the job. Always dry-fit things before you glue because you will not get it off without cutting it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.