Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me run new Pipes for my pump and filter, please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me run new Pipes for my pump and filter, please

Hello everyone.

The previous owner slapped together the plumbing you see in the attached picture. The hose that worries me is the beige colored one that comes up from the pump. If it bursts it'll send thousands of gallons of water against my house.

So could you tell me what pipes, quick connects (unions?), adapters, etc. that I need to do things properly, while making it easy to remove the setup for the winter? I store everything in my basement or the shed as I live near Boston (enough said) during the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help me run new Pipes for my pump and filter, please

You just want to use regular schedule 40 fittings and pipe with a union above the pump so you can disconnect it.
    You will need some male threaded couplers and a 90 fitting and some pipe.

I would get rid of as many of those pipe clamps as possible and switch to PVC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

North OKC Area

Re: Help me run new Pipes for my pump and filter, please

It looks like he needs to make a U-shape instead of going straight up so he doesn't have to be extremely precise.

The fittings will either be 1-1/2" or 2", you're going to need to measure. I agree with replacing as much as you can with PVC. You also need to pick up PVC primer and PVC cement. ACE is usually the most helpful hardware store in my area and you'll save if you buy long sections of pipe instead of shorter sections at big box stores. If it won't fit, bring a hacksaw in case they can't cut it for you. If you don't have one buy one because you'll need it for the job. Always dry-fit things before you glue because you will not get it off without cutting it off.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator