Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Basket

Hello everyone
    Im new to swimming pools and have a question regarding the pump skimmer basket. I seem to have a clog in one of my skimmer lines and plan on using a drain king from the pump skimmer line to unclog the skimmer line. My problem is I cannot get the water to stop coming out of the pump skimmer line. I tried closing all valves but I cannot draim the water out of the pump skimmer basket. Is there a combination of valves I should be opening and closing or do I have a valve failure? Any help would be most appreciated.
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer Basket

Without a pic that is impossible to tell but if you have water above the pump strainer basket, it will always flow into it. Have you drained your filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Skimmer Basket

Sorry haven't had time to post pictures but I have posted a picture of my setup. pool.jpeg-page-001.jpg
    I did drain my filter. I usually have the pool drain valve closed and one of the skimmer lines closed with the multiport valve in the closed position. Is this the correct way or should I have certain valves open and closed. My apologies if this seems like a stupid question but this is the first pool I've owned and it came with the house when I purchased it last year. So all this is new to me and I'm trying to pick things up as fast I can. I've read the multiport valve should be in the backwash position while others have said it should be in the closed position. Not sure which is correct.
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool