Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need serious help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy I need serious help!

I have the coleman metal frame 17 foot by 48 inches deep above ground pool. My pump went out and it took me a day or so to find a new replacement and while i was searching my pool got some algea in it so i went to the store and bought some hth algea guard and put the recomended dose in my pool, it turned the water a bright green and made the water cloudy as well and i have no clue how to fix this!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: I need serious help!

Hi Ashley, and welcome to TFP. Simply put - you need two things right now .. The right test kit (see TF-100 link below) and you need to follow our SLAM procedure (link also below). You really need those two things right now, and you can't do one without the other. So if you can order the test kit and read the SLAM notes, you'll be armed to knock that green out of your pool. In the meantime, don't put any more pool store products in your pool. Maybe put about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach in your pool each night until you get the right kit and we can help you from there.

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Yardley, PA

Hello Ashley and welcome to TFP,
    For anyone here to help and give proper guidance, we need to know the results of your water chemistry. Do you have a test kit? If so, which one is it? What are the results of the complete set of tests? I'm not familiar with above ground pools, but many here are and more than willing to help. We just need to know more "facts" until we can give you the proper guidance. Also, please add to your signature line various information about your pool; look at other's signatures for an idea of what is needed.
    Keep your posts coming and welcome!
    23,500 gallon IG plaster with pebbles, Pentair FLT FNS 60 DE (160 GPM flow rate), Pentair Model 320 in-line Chlorinator, Jandy Plus HP 1.5 HP pump replaced with AO Centurian 1.5 switchless motor; Aquacal Heatwave heat pump. Method: since 2012 transitioned from "pool-stored" to TFP! Get your test kits here: correct link for pool calculator:

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Sadly, algaecides work okay as a preventative, but they do next to nothing to cure it. The EXACT HTH algaecide you added is important. I have been checking and some are copper based, which can make your pool Emerald Green and some are HEDP, which is better, and which means the green would be algae alone.

Your pool can;t look worse than some of these. Just do what they did.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!