Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Water!! Please Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water!! Please Help!!

Hello everyone, my name is Ed. I am new to posting here, but have been following the site for the last year since i had my pool installed. I finally broke down and ordered the 2006c test kit. Hopefully I get it soon as I am having a big problem. I have been using the pool store for my water testing since i started along with a basic test kit that i have. I just dont buy their chemicals. The last storm here in michigan really messed up my pool. Here are the results of my latest tests taken today.

Free chlorine - 5.0
    Total chlorine - 5.0
    Combined Chlorine - 0
    pH - 7.7
    Alkalinity - 111
    Cyanuric Acid - 26

Ever since the storm my water has been cloudy. I can still see the bottom of the pool. I tried shocking the pool with a 1lb bag(I typically use liquid) and the result didn't get any better. My water is still cloudy. The pool is a 12 by 21 oval. Is there any recommendations from anyone until I receive my test kit? This is driving me crazy. I had crystal clear water 3 days ago.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval
    1 hp hayward pump with sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water!! Please Help!!

Raise your chlorine level to 10ppm, hold it there daily and wait for the kit. When it gets there give us some test results. Pool store results are too untrustworthy, especially the CYA test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

SLAM here is a link

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Bleach and lots of it to do the SLAM.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies!!! I started the SLAM. Hopefully it wont take too long.
    Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

5. Back To Top    #5

I am in a similar situation to you. I recently SLAMed the pool when it was overcome with algae while I was on vacation. The algae died, but it has been cloudy ever since (very slowly clearing up). I added a couple more gallons of liquid chlorine last night, but didn't notice any significant changes in the cloudiness this morning. I measured the FC at 5 ppm this morning. Should I be patient, and wait for it to clear up?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by AJC9725 View Post
    I am in a similar situation to you. I recently SLAMed the pool when it was overcome with algae while I was on vacation. The algae died, but it has been cloudy ever since (very slowly clearing up). I added a couple more gallons of liquid chlorine last night, but didn't notice any significant changes in the cloudiness this morning. I measured the FC at 5 ppm this morning. Should I be patient, and wait for it to clear up?
    That isn't really a SLAM ..... adding a couple gallons will boost your FC way up but the idea of a SLAM is to get it to shock level and then maintain it until you have clear water, CC of .5 or less and pass the OCLT.

Do you have test results? That is what we need to know first and foremost before we can help!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I be worried about the sand in my filter? This morning after about 12 hours after i added the first shock treatment, the water looks the same as last night and no pressure changes according to my gauge. I started this year off with new sand in my filter. Am i over thinking this? I just added some more liquid chlorine and my test kit should be here tomorrow(fingers crossed).

- - - Updated - - -

I also got suckered into buying a pool clarifier, which after investigation on this site is debatable. i was told i could not over use it. i added about 2 ounces to my water when this started. Could the clarifier cause cloudiness?
    Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

8. Back To Top    #8

Just wait for your test kit. Do NOT add any thing other that bleach to your pool until we go over your test results.

Who added the sand? Are you SURE it was POOL sand and not play sand? VERY important question. We have a pool they are trying to clear that it was found out that play sand was used instead of POOL sand. It has made a MESS of the water that is STILL not clear.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I added it. It was filter sand I got at the pool store. I was told to change sand every other year.

Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

10. Back To Top    #10

As Kim said, if I were you, I would not put anything else in the water except regular bleach to the level as noted by the SLAM instructions and as based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Anything else could confuse you or conflict with the SLAM. Also, give it time. Patience and "maintaining" the proper FC level are key. Your water will eventually change from green (if applicable) to possibly more of a cloudy white as the algae begins to die. Then the filter will have the chore of filtering-out the residue. But this may take a few days. The bleach will eventually make it to all spots in your water system, to include the filter.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Good to hear that you KNOW it was pool sand!

You do NOT need to change the sand that often. There are several people who have NEVER changed their sand for MANY years.

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Good to know. I only use the pool 3-4 months out of the year. Thank you.

Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

13. Back To Top    #13

My test kit arrived today! I immediately tested the water. Here's the readings I got

FC - 23.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 160
    Cyan - 55 (it was between 50-60)
    Calcium - 100

I tested the pH against my old kit that i was using, and i got a super low reading. That kit is now in the garbage. The water seems to be getting better slowly. Here is a pic20150715_102808.jpg. I am simply amazed at this new test kit and should have had one all along.
    Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

14. Back To Top    #14

That water is going to love the new test kit! It will look like jewel. You will be able to read the heads/tails on a coin at the bottom!

While you are doing a SLAM do not test anything other than FC and every once in a while CC. The others do not matter right now.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Quick question about the SLAM. What level am I supposed to keep the FC at? I just checked i again since the sun is going down and it looks like i lost 3ppm during this sunny day. Should I keep adding chlorine to maintain the 20ppm level for now until the water clears?
    Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

16. Back To Top    #16

Your CYA is 55 so I would round up to 60 and keep the FC at 24. Remember to test the FC often and bring the level back to 24 when it drops. The longer your FC stays at or slightly above 24 the better off you will be...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you. that's what I thought. I raised it up. Hopefully this is over soon. It's supposed to be 90 this weekend. It would be nice to use it again.

Ed Nowalski
    Utica, Michigan
    12x21 above ground oval

18. Back To Top    #18

Just remember to keep that FC up! The SLAM is complete when the following conditions are obtained:

1. CC is </= 0.5
    2. Pass the OCLT
    3. Pool water is crystal clear
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

19. Back To Top    #19

If you have not start the slam yet, lower the pH to 7. 2 first using muriatic acid
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

20. Back To Top    #20

Shhhhhhhhhhhh but you can get in the water this weekend...................just let the fc get just a tiny bit under the SLAM level and jump in. Don't wear you best suit but jump in and have fun. Once you are push your FC back up to just over the SLAM level. Yeah it might slow your SLAM down a couple of mins. but it will be SO worth it!

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast