Gunite pool surface issues

PoolMI

Jul 12, 2015
Novi/MI
Hi

I am a new user to the forum

We just bought a house last summer (2014) with a pool. I have become well acquainted with the weekly maintenance (on the job training and google).

On Sunday, I saw some minute spots/holes on the walls (Picture #1).

Today, I am seeing a lot more scrapes/surface roughness (Picture #2).

These have cropped up all of a sudden. The pool was painted by the former owner in 2013.

Any suggestions? :(

Don't have a budget for any major issues since we just bought the house last year

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool2.JPG
    Pool2.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 140
Welcome to TFP !!!!!! Hang around the site for a while -- its a great learning experience. More consistent and knowledgeable than random google searches.

In response to your question:

One word: Paint -- What you are seeing is normal paint deterioration. If those are brown stains they could be algae -- but from your description that is not what those are. I'm going to suggest you get one of the test kits we recommend and test to see if you have the signs of algae.

No matter that the guy at the pool store told you, no matter what the warranty says, no matter how you put it on (or in your case your prior owner) -- pool paint has a good year or two of life and then goes down hill. You are seeing the beginning of the down hill.

You describe your pool as a gunite pool. That is correct to a point. The surface of the gunite is covered with a plaster to provide a smooth waterproof membrane. That plaster has a service life of from 10 to 20 years depending on how it is treated. The better the treatment the longer the service life.

I suspect your prior owner painted the pool to avoid a replaster job and a $3000 to $6000 expense (that's a guess -- I have no idea of Michigan prices)

You can drain the pool and repaint (usually every 2 to 3 years) Or you can drain the pool and have the pool replastered -- 10 to 20 years of life. With some of today's plaster products you can get 20 years of life.

Hi there. Thanks for the response. It is not algae for sure.

It is good to know it is normal wear and tear and part of the life of a paint job.

I was saving up money to do a coping job ($6500) next spring.

I would rather do a resurfacing job instead.

However, wanted to check if coping can be delayed. It is hollow and I can place some loose tiles back but if coping is an urgent issue (not only aesthetics) than I may have to make tough choices

Welcome to TFP !!!!!! Hang around the site for a while -- its a great learning experience. More consistent and knowledgeable than random google searches.

In response to your question:

One word: Paint -- What you are seeing is normal paint deterioration. If those are brown stains they could be algae -- but from your description that is not what those are. I'm going to suggest you get one of the test kits we recommend and test to see if you have the signs of algae.

No matter that the guy at the pool store told you, no matter what the warranty says, no matter how you put it on (or in your case your prior owner) -- pool paint has a good year or two of life and then goes down hill. You are seeing the beginning of the down hill.

You describe your pool as a gunite pool. That is correct to a point. The surface of the gunite is covered with a plaster to provide a smooth waterproof membrane. That plaster has a service life of from 10 to 20 years depending on how it is treated. The better the treatment the longer the service life.

I suspect your prior owner painted the pool to avoid a replaster job and a $3000 to $6000 expense (that's a guess -- I have no idea of Michigan prices)

You can drain the pool and repaint (usually every 2 to 3 years) Or you can drain the pool and have the pool replastered -- 10 to 20 years of life. With some of today's plaster products you can get 20 years of life.

It's nit unusual for pool owners in any state to paint over their plaster to make their pool look attractive to sell. At any rate unless the plaster is actually cracking off, the look to it is only cosmetic. Your main issue as to tile/coping vs plastering will be the actual condition of the tile and coping. The top area of where the tile goes on and the top area where the coping lays on is called the bond beam. Loose tile and loose or hollow sounding coping indicate possible cracking And to make your decision more difficult, new plaster never looks good without new tile. But new tile can't go on a cracked bond beam So... Sorry to go long. I want your pool to look great, moneys always tight, its a big decision on what to do. Good luck to you!

Thanks!

I got a pool contractor to check it out and he confirms that is the paint. He recommends repainting with epoxy paint in the spring and mudding up all the way to the coping (removing tiles, portions of which fall off each winter).

My coping is probably 25 years old and he suggests just keeping it as I will have water damage due to pavers around the pool.

He said pavers are not a good option as water gets in through the joints.

I was planning on getting the pavers power washed and sanded next year (having a guy come over to estimate that).
Based on what I know so far, I am going to get the pool painted all the way to coping and get the pavers fixed.

if I have the willingness a year later, I may do the coping.

Am I on the right path?

It's nit unusual for pool owners in any state to paint over their plaster to make their pool look attractive to sell. At any rate unless the plaster is actually cracking off, the look to it is only cosmetic. Your main issue as to tile/coping vs plastering will be the actual condition of the tile and coping. The top area of where the tile goes on and the top area where the coping lays on is called the bond beam. Loose tile and loose or hollow sounding coping indicate possible cracking And to make your decision more difficult, new plaster never looks good without new tile. But new tile can't go on a cracked bond beam So... Sorry to go long. I want your pool to look great, moneys always tight, its a big decision on what to do. Good luck to you!

I just had my pavers power washed and had polymeric sand installed by my Landscaper for $500. I had another outfit qoute me $1600 for the same job but he was going to seal the pavers also which we didn't want anyways. Not sure how the costs compare to Chicago costs but we had our pool Pebble Tech "sheen" finished for $13k which included power wash and minor chip out. The cost for Diamond Brite was only about $500 dollars cheaper which has quartz in the plaster. Regular plaster may be cheaper but may not last as long. We went with the Pebble Sheen for the longevity because I don't want to take that $$ hit again for another 30 years if I'm still on this planet :D

Again your paint is only going to last a short while -- even with epoxy paint. removing the tile line means that you will probably end up with a scum -- calcium line on your pool.

Most on this forum would say that paint is a temporary fix. Some form of plaster is best.

I would go have a couple more contractors come out -- I think you could find one who can put on new coping and tiles that will last a while -- 10 years or more without heaving or poping -- it may cost more but there are plenty of folks who have just that.

After considering this for a few days, I have the following options:

1) Waiting for estimate to fix pavers - assuming $1500-2000 for now
2) Repaint with epoxy (hopefully get 3-4 years out of it). Plaster seems to be in good condition - $6000
3) Coping and Tiling - $6500

If I have $8K to spend between now and 2016, what would be the best path to take?

I am thinking pavers first (since it leads to coping issues), repaint and coping/tiling 2017 or later.

The other choice I am seriously considering is pool demolish (if not now) in max. 5 years. Given this, what would be the best options?

Thanks

Again your paint is only going to last a short while -- even with epoxy paint. removing the tile line means that you will probably end up with a scum -- calcium line on your pool.

Most on this forum would say that paint is a temporary fix. Some form of plaster is best.

I would go have a couple more contractors come out -- I think you could find one who can put on new coping and tiles that will last a while -- 10 years or more without heaving or poping -- it may cost more but there are plenty of folks who have just that.[/QUOTE]

I have been monitoring the surface and it does not seem to have deteriorated much from earlier days. I still have the options below for next spring .

I did want to post this picture to confirm that it is still a paint job/resurfacing job that I need.

The dark big holes are leaves. I am referring to small holes in the middle of the picture of Pool3.jog.

Obviously, with a purchase of the house was not prepared for extra pool costs :(

Thanks

After considering this for a few days, I have the following options:

1) Waiting for estimate to fix pavers - assuming $1500-2000 for now
2) Repaint with epoxy (hopefully get 3-4 years out of it). Plaster seems to be in good condition - $6000
3) Coping and Tiling - $6500

If I have $8K to spend between now and 2016, what would be the best path to take?

I am thinking pavers first (since it leads to coping issues), repaint and coping/tiling 2017 or later.

The other choice I am seriously considering is pool demolish (if not now) in max. 5 years. Given this, what would be the best options?

Thanks

I would go have a couple more contractors come out -- I think you could find one who can put on new coping and tiles that will last a while -- 10 years or more without heaving or poping -- it may cost more but there are plenty of folks who have just that.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Pool3.JPG
    Pool3.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 58
If you are seriously going to take the pool out in five years i wouldn't put big money in now.

If i was spending your money and I wasn't going to take out the pool---
Do coping and tiling now -- do pavers

Wait a year and repaint -- then re plaster in 3 to 4 years.

Fix the deck so it looks good and is safe first then fix the issues with the pool finish.

But thats me spending your money ---

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.