Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for duraleigh's design on pool cooler...

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for duraleigh's design on pool cooler...

Hello all, I was just doing a search to find effective ways to cool down my pool. It is in full sun from 8:00 am, until about 6:00 pm, absolutely none in the shade until then. My pool temps have been in the low to mid 90's. I came across a thread in which duraleigh was talking about his cooler/fountain. He says that he drilled 1/8" holes in his pvc, but the streams in the photo he posted look larger. Also, how high do the streams need to go to be most effective. I did look at a link to the mistcooler, but i liked the fact that duraleigh's cooler did not look as obtrusive.
    18x36 Vinyl Liner In-Ground, 29,200 gallon, 2 h.p. Max-E-Pro P6E6G-208L Main Pump, Zodiac Pool Systems Booster Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR15 Chlorine Generator w/T-Cell 15, Polaris 280, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor KF-1766 Salt Test

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Looking for duraleigh's design on pool cooler...

A Cheap Pool Cooler for the end of Summer 1/8" holes is correct. Higher is ALWAYS better if you can still keep the falling water in the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, duraleigh, i had read the thread you posted, and at line #36, you said 1/4" holes in the top, so that is why i was asking. I want to take a moment here to thank you very much for all of the great advice and tips that you and the rest of the mods and senior members of this site are willing to share, and for all of y'all's patience with a bunch on noobs, like myself, that probably ask the same questions over and over. Following the advice on pool chemistry and pool school, in a little less than a month, my pool water has become the envy of everyone I know with a pool. One down side is, i can't go swimming anywhere else, when i look at some of the water that people that trust the poolstores, think is "clean"!
    18x36 Vinyl Liner In-Ground, 29,200 gallon, 2 h.p. Max-E-Pro P6E6G-208L Main Pump, Zodiac Pool Systems Booster Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR15 Chlorine Generator w/T-Cell 15, Polaris 280, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor KF-1766 Salt Test

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, a big giant OOPS! They are 1/4 inch holes. I do not have that cooler any more but I called who does have it and she measured it.....sure enough 1/4" I am very sorry.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Does this cause much ph rise?
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Aeration will certainly drive the pH up faster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Does this cause much ph rise?
    The pH in my pool (TA - 80) has always been fairly stable. Coupled with it's a pretty large volume of water and my pH didn't move much. I didn't track it as carefully as I could but I would guess a rise of .2 over a weeks worth of using the pool cooler.

I can report that it kept the pool much cooler (around 86) on even our hottest days. The biggest technical issue I had was the subsequent mist was difficult to keep in the pool and the surrounding decking stayed wet. Wind was a killer to my water level.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Absolutely no apologies necessary, dualeigh! As I have not built it yet, no harm done. I am getting the pvc this afternoon. Will let you know how it does.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! I know aeration causes pH rise, my diy venturi i made to increase pH so I could lower TA does that really good. Only 0.2 rise per week sounds like it's worth trying.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator