Polaris 380 Gets Stuck

Oct 14, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Hello,

Hoping someone can tell me what might be happening with my Polaris 380. I just had it checkout by my Polaris Dealer (Leslie Pools) and they said all is well. I've made a run through the Common Polaris 380 Problems and Troubleshooting http://www.epoolshop.com/polaris380poolcleanertroubleshooting.aspx without help. RPM Check looks to be around 26 - 27.

Any ideas why it might be doing this?

Thanks very much for any help.

Jeff

Here's a quick 30-second video to show you exactly what it's doing
[youtube:1phjy47v]_v6bCy-MupM[/youtube:1phjy47v]

Isn't there a 'reverse valve' further up that hose? #56 in the diagram. It should activate ocassionally and send the Polaris backwards.

polaris_380_parts.gif

It looks like the hose is taut, and is holding the unit back. That happens with mine if the hose gets a loop that won't untwist by itself. Sometimes that means you need to replace a stiff swivel, sometimes it just happens. (Or maybe the hose isn't quite long enough.)

After the backup cycle, does it change direction and behave normally?
--paulr

It looks to me like you have the float on the Polaris set too far back. Move it so that the front edge of the float is about 3/4's of an inch from the downtube and see if it doesn't work better. When the float is way back like that it tends to lift the rear of the unit too much.

Just a quick follow up on how this issue was finally resolved. There were a few issues affecting the Polaris 380. First the Polaris 380 Float head was slightly cracked and had some water filling up inside. Second, the Water Management (WMS) system had hoses that were not longer sealed correctly as they had been "fixed" by using zip ties at some point in the past. Finally, the PosiTrax tires need to be replaced as they were very worn. My local dealer replaced these parts and now my Polaris is ripping along nicely.

Thanks very much to everyone who posted replies to my original post last month.
:goodjob:

Just a note: the zip ties on the hoses inside the Polaris are supposed to be there. Its not a 'fix'. If they happen to break they need to be replaced as it affects the water mgmt function. Ask Leslies if you want to make sure I am speaking the truth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.