Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: EC65 filter problem

1. Back To Top    #1

EC65 filter problem

Filter is not filling to top. Pressure air release on top does not have any air or water shooting out. Cleaned fingers with acid bath, replaced top gasket. Psi is 15 after cleaning. Prime basket has air bubbles. Have checked lines from skimmer and found no leaks. Dug up lines and no leaks. have tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions? System worked until cleaned fingers with acid bath. Also lubed o-ring on prime bowl. It returns water to pool but suction is very minimal only fills prime bowl to about half full.
    I have a 16x32 in-ground pool. It has a Hayward EC-65A filtering system. It holds about 18,000 gallons of water. The system was installed in 1987. It has a vinyl liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: EC65 filter problem

When you say prime bowl, do you mean the bowl that's on the from of the pump? If so there's air getting into the system somewhere on the suction side of the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I know. Have checked all lines even dug up under ground lines. Found no leaks. Real problem is filter it's self not filling to top. It always filled and could release air with top release valve. Problem started after cleaning filter fingers.
    I have a 16x32 in-ground pool. It has a Hayward EC-65A filtering system. It holds about 18,000 gallons of water. The system was installed in 1987. It has a vinyl liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like the vent valve is stopped up. Have you taken it out completely and checked in the port to see if it's plugged?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes. Some bubbling of water comes out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like there's too much air in the system for the pump to prime and pump fully.

I think it was a coincidence that this happened when you cleaned the filter.

Can you post a pic of the equipment pad, especially the pump near the suction area?

Have you removed the drain plugs on the pump and strainer basket and cleaned and resealed them? there should be more than one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

This happened to me because the lid was not turned fully to the closed position on the pump basket. I tapped it to fully closed with a rubber mallet and that did the trick.