Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poor Skimmer Function

1. Back To Top    #1

Poor Skimmer Function

I've been lurking on this site for a little over a year now and have really learned a lot from pool school and doing searches. I even bought a Taylor 2006 kit that was recommended here and it is great. I have an 18 x 36 vinyl liner inground pool with a sta-rite system 2 cartridge filter and 1hp sta-rite supermax pump. The problem I'm having is with my skimmer not really doing much, and I think it could be because I cannot get good flow around the pool. The pool only has one skimmer box, a suction line, and 2 returns (one of which is at the steps). I get good suction from both the skimmer and the suction line, but bugs and leaves still tend to stay in the middle of the pool rather than go toward the skimmer. I've attached a rough sketch of the pool. Which direction would you recommend I point the returns for best flow around the pool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 x 36 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, 26,000 gallons, Sta-Rite System 2 PLM175 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poor Skimmer Function

Welcome to TFP!

I'd probably start by aiming the return in the steps toward a spot about halfway between the skimmer and the wall on the right. Then I'd aim the wall return into the upper right corner, with both returns rippling the surface a little.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you think that closing down the suction line thereby increasing the skimmer pull would help, plus doing the aforementioned return adjustments?

4. Back To Top    #4

I changed the direction of the returns the way John T recommended and this morning the skimmer box has much more than usual in it and I don't see nearly as many bugs floating around. Seems to be working. Thanks!
    18 x 36 Vinyl Liner IG Pool, 26,000 gallons, Sta-Rite System 2 PLM175 Filter