Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool and Taylor K-2006

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool and Taylor K-2006

Hello all!

I've been enjoying my new pool for about two weeks now and just received by Taylor K-2006 kit. Pretty simple to use and my results are as follows:

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 180
    CYA ~ 48

Temperature 82 degrees.

At about 0900hrs this morning. It's going to be a hot, sunny day and I have four kids about to go swimming so I'm sure some of that chlorine will get eaten up! Any opinions regarding my CH and CYA levels? I have a pebble finish and stopped using chlorine pucks after the first week, switched to liquid chlorine bought from the local pool store. Thanks a million!
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool and Taylor K-2006

Hello! I'm surprised your CH is so low for that area. Wow. First thing though - get your FC up with some bleach right away. The Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart puts you at a target of 6, and honestly in your area, I wouldn't let it go below 7-8 for sure. Never let it drop below 6. Everything else looks pretty good. Enjoy your summer!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

wow, numbers looking good other than getting your FC up. nice work
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the great replies. I was reading somewhere, can't remember, but that FC levels of 5ppm or higher were unsafe for swimming. Wrong information, I assume? Thanks!!
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.

5. Back To Top    #5

That sounds like pool store talk. You're fine. As long as your FC is in-line with your current CYA level, you are in great shape.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Awesome! Thanks, Texas!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rubone74 View Post
    Thanks for the great replies. I was reading somewhere, can't remember, but that FC levels of 5ppm or higher were unsafe for swimming. Wrong information, I assume? Thanks!!
    pool store fooey from people that don't know anything about how CYA and FC work. my dad was one of them. old school guy. he was out my house last month and we were talking about the pool. he actually brought me some Yellow Out, lol. I said, thanks Dad I don't need it. I had to test my FC that day and he asked me what level my chlorine was at. I told him 9 and you should have seen the look on his face, like I was torturing his granddaughter by letting her swim in tub full of battery acid.

he went swimming later and mentioned he couldn't detect any chlorine and how his eyes didn't burn at all.

so yeah, don't worry about that. as long as its lower than SLAM level, you good.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

8. Back To Top    #8

wow! thanks for the input, DaninFLA!!