Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Pool Circulation After PebbleTec. Problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

No Pool Circulation After PebbleTec. Problem?

Long story short my pool builder is having electrician issues and I have no pool circulation. Supposed to be done Friday and it wasn't. Then they promised first thing this morning. Now they wont be here until tomorrow.

PebbleTec was Friday. Acid wash Saturday and began filling. Pool was filled about 5am Sunday.

Im concerned about the chemical balance of the water and the effects of it on the PebbleTec. Not the mention the certain declining grade of the water.

I did some testing

PH is 8.2

Calcium is 125ppm

No chlorine whatsoever in the pool.

Didn't do a CYA test.

Should I be concerned?

I can wire the main pump myself if needed (bypass the Prologic system).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Pool Circulation After PebbleTec. Problem?

Interesting, wonder how long the water will remain clear before entering the swamp stage?? I would be nervous
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

you could brush the whole pool and get curculation, but with no chlorine in it that would not stop anything growing.. It would stop the water from being stagnant... Did he say you could not have chlorine in the pool?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

We have been brushing as required.

Here were the startup instructions.

1.Begin filling pool with water. Filtering of fill water is recommended in some areas. The pool MUST be filled without interruption!
    2. Get the pool circulating as soon as possible, with the main drain open and the skimmer closed; the pool can be circulated safely when the water reaches the return lines.
    3. Once the pool is circulating adjust alkalinity to 80 ppm, pH to 7.0 - 7.2; and Jack’s Magic® the Blue Stuff® to 20 ppm (1 quart per 10,000 gallons of water). Leave pool circulating continuously for at least 72 hours. DO NOT add chlorine during first 48 hours. Note: For superior filtration, Purifiber® can be added to the filter (according to directions on the package) to achieve the most efficient filtering of any contaminants.
    4. Brush pool thoroughly using a nylon or nylon/wire-combination brush. Vacuuming the pool with a vinyl vac is also recommended (any vac without wheels is fine). A vinyl vac head will allow more efficient cleaning and can be used immediately upon start-up.
    5. The pH and total alkalinity must be monitored daily to prevent scaling.
    6. DO NOT CHLORINATE until pool has filtered and pH and total alkalinity are acceptable. Chlorine is highly reactive and can cause metals or minerals to precipitate (cloud water, scale and/or stain). At least 48 hours is recommended. DO NOT SHOCK pool (super chlorinate) above 5 ppm for at least 10 days, to give the pool time to filter and stabilize.
    7. Cyanuric acid (stabilizer) can be added at any time; increase to 30 ppm. We recommend adding stabilizer around the same time as when first adding chlorine.
    8. In areas of soft water (low calcium hardness) raise calcium to 200 ppm. Normal calcium levels are 200-400 ppm. As the surface cures, the hardness levels may increase. DO NOT raise calcium level until pH and total alkalinity are stable (7.2-7.4 and 80-100 ppm).
    9. To prevent staining or scaling, Jack’s Magic® the Blue Stuff® levels must be maintained above 12 ppm. This level can be monitored with a Jack’s Magic Sequest Test™. Average start-up dosage is 1 quart per 10,000 gallons of pool water. To ensure the pool does not stain or scale, the homeowner should maintain sequest levels on a weekly basis (some pools will require more Jack’s Magic® “Stuff” depending on heaters, well-water, type of chlorination, etc.).

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems like your pool guy likes Jack. . I want to commend you for coming to TFP. The experts here will get you on the right track. It's been a while since our pool build, so I don't remember all of the instructions. I do remember the brushing, but I know we didn't add all of the Jacks stuff. I vaguely recall adding chlorine before the SWG kicked in.

Someone will come along soon and guide you. You are right to be concerned about not being able to filter the water.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

6. Back To Top    #6

I did a Total Alkalinity test and it isn't even registering. So its well over 300 (30 drops and still green)

I did it twice just so make sure I wasn't losing my mind. (TF-100 Kit).

I tested the pool water and the tap/source water. Same thing

7. Back To Top    #7

What are you testing with?

You need to get the PH and TA down. Here is a link to show you how to get it fixed.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This chart will tell you the levels

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Here is Pool Math to tell you how much to add of what to add.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Do you have a sub pump? If not you can get one at Harbor Freight cheap.

If nothing else walk around your pool with a straw broom to help mix in the stuff.

Let me know about the test kit.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw your last post.

You need to talk to your PB and ask him for a pump and for him to bring some MA to start getting that TA down.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a small pump that I used to drain the pool during rain...but I'm just really apprehensive about adding anything without good circulation.

The last thing I want to do is damage the PebbleTec...but with the PH and TA so high that seems like it could do it itself.

This shouldn't even be a conversation - not happy at all with the builder.

9. Back To Top    #9

This sounds really serious, I would be sure to fire an e-mail off to the PB outlining everything, get it all in writing.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Goodness - that's terrible and I agree, the PB should be helping out. Too much $$ to be messed up from the get go.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

11. Back To Top    #11

So the electrician came out and wired everything up this afternoon. But the builder cant make it until tomorrow morning to prime the pump and get the pool circulating.

I told them i'll start it up myself if they didn't make a stop immediately.

Which is exactly what i'll do.

I can say for certain that this builder wont be getting any referrals from me. No since of urgency whatsoever.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
    So the electrician came out and wired everything up this afternoon. But the builder cant make it until tomorrow morning to prime the pump and get the pool circulating.

I told them i'll start it up myself if they didn't make a stop immediately.

Which is exactly what i'll do.

I can say for certain that this builder wont be getting any referrals from me. No since of urgency whatsoever.
    Open the pump basket and start filling with a water hose and let it start filling the pipes as much as possible, then close and start pump. You are needing to create a siphon in the line. I dang sure wouldn't be waiting on the PB if he is that unreliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, bypass the filter if you can until it is primed good.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

13. Back To Top    #13

Email Pebble Tech and tell them your concern. Document everything so that if something goes wrong, you have documentation.

Honestly - I don't think a few days is going to make a big difference. Although I started up my own pool, the my pool builder didn't schedule to come out to start the pool until a few days after the water filled the pool. It sounded like that was standard procedures for my PB (who have some concern with too).
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.