Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High pressure and pool cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

High pressure and pool cloudy

So I have a pool I work on for a guy. This site has taught me a lot about the pool, and I've gotten it sparkling. Now I have an odd problem. Pool is somewhere around 45-50,000 gallons I believe. I have a 200# sand Hayward filter that's only 3-4 years old. I changed the sand in the filter at the beginning of the season. The pressure is a bit higher than last year about 19-20psi with the solar heaters running. I remember last year it was somewhere around 15psi. I didn't think much of this until I recently had an algae bloom and had to shock it. The water is still cloudy, and it's been over a week. Last year it was 2-3 days. What would cause this ? Is something not right internally?
    IG 48K gal, vinyl liner installed 5/12, 1hp Hayward pump with a Hayward sand filter, Aquabot turbo for daily vaccuming.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High pressure and pool cloudy

Is it possible that when you "shocked" your pool, you only did it for a short period of time and did not fully implement the TFP Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, thereby successfully passing all 3 SLAM criteria? That could certainly explain it. Would you like to post a full set of test results for us to review?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I have done the shocking the same way as last year. I actually learned to do the shocking from that link on this site. I went through 20gal of chlorine, and everything in the pool turned white. All chemicals are within the good boundaries now. I use DE to help the sand filter better. I'm thinking the higher pressure and longer times for the pool to clear up from last year to this year are related. The only thing different is changing the sand.

4. Back To Top    #4

Then I suppose one of two things may be happening:
    1 - You have a new algae bloom that requires a new SLAM
    2 - You simply have dead algae/residual matter that still needs to be filtered-out over time.

Of course whenever in doubt, you can always do an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to confirm if the cloudiness is simply residual matter or algae.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you cleaned the sand media? If it is 4 years old it can accumulate stuff.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

This is the third time replying, maybe it'll post this time. I'm pretty certain that the algae is dead because nothing has been growing in the last week. So, I guess I'll just wait for the filter to do its job and keep an eye on it chlorine levels.

I have put new sand in this season, so it's only about 2 months old. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is this year (without solar panels on), its running about 15psi. Last year, it was about 9-10 psi. Is there some reason why that would happen? All plumbing is the same.

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe last year you had less sand. Maybe this year your gauge is bad. Maybe the old sand was a little more course. Maybe last year you had some organic debris partially stuck in an intake pipe that has decomposed by now. I wouldn't worry too much if the flow is good.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You are most likely dealing with the algae you did not kill previously. A SLAM is not a one time addition of a big dose of chlorine, then crossing your fingers that it works, as you were explained in this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...755#post551755

You should do an OCLT as recommended to see if there is active organics in the pool.

Have you purchased a proper test kit yet? It will be needed to perform a proper SLAM if you fail the OCLT (if it were me I would still SLAM regardless)

Can you please post a complete set of test results?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

1. That filter is too small for a 50,000 gal pool.

2. Changing the sand is a waste of your time and owners money......a filter 4 times that size is a far better use of funds.

3. You can not manage a pool successfully unless you are willing to learn more about pool water chemistry. Please read the ABC's of pool water chemistry up in Pool School.

4. Higher pressure means you have more restriction than before. That increased restriction is most always caused by debris in your filter. It usually gets there because of inadequate chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School