Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Hi All,

We will be moving our pool to a different corner of our yard in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure we do it right this time. Currently it's in a spot that looked level, but once the 50,000 of water got in the pool, the ground started settling and it is 2"-3" off level.

Ground is dirt and weeds and tree roots. We will be tilling about 20'x20' square to breakup all the big stuff, but not sure what do next. We are thinking to rent a lawn roller to compact it down. I would say the yard is relatively flat, but I thought that of the first location also..

I would not TILL anything, you would then have to go below what you tilled to get to compacted dirt..

dig down below grass to compacted dirt...

The easiest method is to rent a sod cutter that will remove all the grass at a consistent depth above the ground. Then level the dirt below the sod only digging down the high areas, leaving the lowest area alone. Disturb the settled soil as little as possible, remove only what you need to bring down to a flat area.

Hi All,

We will be moving our pool to a different corner of our yard in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure we do it right this time. Currently it's in a spot that looked level, but once the 50,000 of water got in the pool, the ground started settling and it is 2"-3" off level.

Ground is dirt and weeds and tree roots. We will be tilling about 20'x20' square to breakup all the big stuff, but not sure what do next. We are thinking to rent a lawn roller to compact it down. I would say the yard is relatively flat, but I thought that of the first location also..
50,000 gallons????

Your Intex 18' x 48" pool only holds about 6700 gallons, where are you getting 50,000 anything? With a 20' X 20' square pool the water would need to be almost 17 feet deep to reach 50,000 gallons.

Maybe just a typo?

Dom

50,000 gallons????

Your Intex 18' x 48" pool only holds about 6700 gallons, where are you getting 50,000 anything? With a 20' X 20' square pool the water would need to be almost 17 feet deep to reach 50,000 gallons.

Maybe just a typo?

Dom

LOL, sorry. forgot to put pounds after that. 6,700 gallons of water times 8lbs per gallon = 53,600 pounds.

I think the weight of the pool is smooshing down the ground to make it more uneven in parts.

- - - Updated - - -

The easiest method is to rent a sod cutter that will remove all the grass at a consistent depth above the ground. Then level the dirt below the sod only digging down the high areas, leaving the lowest area alone. Disturb the settled soil as little as possible, remove only what you need to bring down to a flat area.

What's a usual amount to cut down? An inch? 6?

You cut down enough to remove the sod (depends on how thick your sod is)Then you cut down further in the high spots only, until you are level.

A lawn roller is useless for compacting anything.

-dave

-

We have no sod. We have weeds that we mow to keep as short as possible and there are tree roots from our neighbors trees that are at or above ground level in some parts. Also some rocks, walnuts etc. Would a sod remover even help if there is no sod?

Sod cutter will work for weeds/brush and give you a level, undisturbed undercut. Really great machine. However, if you have large rocks and large roots then a bobcat (or equivalent) might be needed. Plus, I would check with your building department before you start digging up neighbor's tree roots---unless your neighbors don't care about the tree. Either way, the roots on the "high side" need to be removed. Many people on here have had success with removing large roots and not killing the trees. In my install, the tree had to go.

Rent or borrow a transit. It's a good way to know for sure you are level. Others have used a water level, you could do a search to see what I mean. (I never used that. Not sure how easy or hard it is. Have used a laser transit, super easy, I did it myself!)

I second the Transit. It was awkward to set up and you will have no idea how it works when you get it, but once you figure it out it is an amazing tool. I was 1/4" level all around after install. After a rough winter I am now 1/2" level from low to high spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sod cutters are great and relatively cheap to rent. They are not a breeze to use however. That's what I did. Rented the cutter, cut out a 20x20 square. However, my yard slopes drastically away from the house. I ended up having to build a retaining wall and build a paver patio. Digging out the low end is recommended. I could not do that however, so I took great care in the retaining wall and compacting the fill dirt. I also added about 2000#'s of gravel under the low end for drainage.

We have no sod. We have weeds that we mow to keep as short as possible and there are tree roots from our neighbors trees that are at or above ground level in some parts. Also some rocks, walnuts etc. Would a sod remover even help if there is no sod?

Yes it will. You want to remove any organic material. Granted it is only a pool, organic material compresses, it rots, and it subsides. Use the sod cutter to remove the top layer of "stuff". Cut out the tree roots as well (a sawzall is a great tool).

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.