Advice needed for pool on VERY steep hill.

Jul 10, 2015
MO
Hello all,

We’re in the beginning stages of planning out a pool. The issue is, we live on a very steep hillside. I’ve started clearing the smaller trees and brush, we just need to have the large trees cut down before the excavating can start.

We’re interested in the Radiant Freeform 28 x 18 pool, so the front half will be inground and the back half will be exposed. I understand that most of my costs will be in excavating. We would like to use 8x8 timber for the retaining wall and composite decking for around the pool. My main concern right now is getting is dug and the pool installed. I can worry about the decking etc etc later on.

Please give me your thoughts.
Eric

Attachments

• PANO_20150712_170431.jpg
    PANO_20150712_170431.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 425
  • PANO_20150712_170552.jpg
    PANO_20150712_170552.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 423
Looking around on the internet. I found these two pictures. Would something like this work? Of course, we would be using decking instead of concrete. It seems they cut into their hill and utilized 4x4 timbers for the retaining wall. Would this be a cost effective way to go about it?

Again, I would be going with a Radiant Pool. So, the front half would be in inground while the backhalf would be exposed since it’s on a hill.

Attachments

• Steep hill.JPG
    Steep hill.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 428
Zappafan Pool Build

Check out this thread. My pool was built back in the 80's and they had to build up the space it is in with dirt to give them an area to put the pool. There might be some pictures that show the other parts of my yard that fall into the ravines. Personally I wouldn't use lumber for retaining walls. Once they start to degrade it will not be good. look at homes that back in the 70's and 80's that used railroad ties for their landscape projects. I have a neighbor that did basically the same thing you are looking at doing I will see if I can go over and snap a few pictures. They used the metal mesh baskets filled with rip-rap rock like they use on very steep embankments.

Welcome to TFP!

It looks to me like your ground may drop 10ft or more in the 18ft width of your pool. A 10ft retaining wall, even with a step in it, calls for an engineered solution on that kind of slope.

Here is another thread for you to check out. But I think your slope is steeper. Still, there may be some ideas or techniques you can use. Bmore did so much of the work himself, and he's still hangin' around. Like so many of the others on here, he would be able to answer some of your questions or give suggestions.

Pool Build - Baltimore

Welcome to TFP!! :wave: Boy, have you hit the jackpot here! There are sooooo many experts and experienced people on this site who absolutely love a challenge! Then there's some like me - we handle the department of encouragement and support. And of course, there are those very special people who can do both!!!

Your home is gorgeous; so is your property! This will be an amazing pool build to watch! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. And remember, you CANNOT post too many pictures! Lol!!!

Take care. Suz.

And thank you everyone for the links. I'll start reading!

The reasoning for mentioning the 8x8 timber retaining wall was for cost purposes only. I'd imagine a concrete wall would make this completely unaffordable.

There are a lot of affordable options out there especially if you are the DIY type. My advice is to plan, plan, plan. Keep us up to speed. Can't wait to see the plan move into action.

And thank you everyone for the links. I'll start reading!

The reasoning for mentioning the 8x8 timber retaining wall was for cost purposes only. I'd imagine a concrete wall would make this completely unaffordable.

With a 5'ish drop and a 52" tall pool, would I need a retaining wall on the back side? I figure that we'll be moving a lot of earth from the retaining wall to the back side to raise that side up.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of affordable options out there especially if you are the DIY type. My advice is to plan, plan, plan. Keep us up to speed. Can't wait to see the plan move into action.

I am most certainly the DIY type. But, I know my limits. I'd hire out the digging for sure. I'd probably kill myself trying to back hoe that out on a slope. Ha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a similar problem in my yard. We were quoted 28K for the retaining walls needed. However, our PB suggested building up the back side with 3/4" gravel fill. 442 tons of fill later it came out to about 1/4 of the cost of the retaining walls, And we have more usable space. Not sure how far your property line goes, or how long that slope is, but depending on your site that could be another another option.

If you live where there are building codes, that wall will not be DIY. JohnT is correct, you will need an engineered structure.

I will need a building permit. I already checked on that.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar problem in my yard. We were quoted 28K for the retaining walls needed. However, our PB suggested building up the back side with 3/4" gravel fill. 442 tons of fill later it came out to about 1/4 of the cost of the retaining walls, And we have more usable space. Not sure how far your property line goes, or how long that slope is, but depending on your site that could be another another option.

We live on 5 acres. The hill goes down about 200 yards. Do you have a build thread for yours? I would love to see pictures.

Eric, a trick I found to see if a user has a build thread is to click on their user name and then select View Profile. On the left menu bar, there is option to "View posts started by user" (something to that effect). If you do this for Ascew, you will see his builder thread.

Just spoke with the local Radiant dealer. I described the situation in it's entirety. He said that I should expect a $4,500-$5,000 install without decking etc etc. But can't give specifics without seeing it. That sounds awefully reasonable.

that picture you show in your second post is a bad idea. you NEVER want water flowing over the top of a retaining wall, let along into the back of it. in that situation they would have been better off raising the top of the wall another foot, then putting a small collection swale behind it to direct water to either side. the biggest enemies of retaining walls is water flowing into the wall from the top and eroding the backfill, and the second is standing water in the soil behind the wall causing hydrostatic pressure. water is the enemy, keep it away

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.