lid on pump has thin crack

What do you mean by "the lid"

The pump really has no lid. Do you mean the lid on the skimmer that is attached to the pump or the lid of the filter housing itself?

You could *try* using a soldering iron, or similar device, to melt the crack closed, but chances are it will not work, or will work, but not last too long.

If the crack is in the lid of the skimmer basket, then you should be able to get a new one either on line or at a pool store. If the crack is in the top of your filter housing, you may be able to get a replacement, but chances are it will not be worth the cost compared to the cost of an entirely new filter housing.

-dave

Not long ago I bought a used pump and the lid was missing completely. These are easy to get from Amazon and fairly cheap. Mine cost $14 for my Hayward pump. And yes I am talking about the skimmer/strainer that is attached to the pump.
If you can get a model number of the pump, it would be easier to help with getting what you need. Sometimes you can get lucky with an epoxy, but already there you would be paying half the price of a new lid.

I would try to seal with a two-part epoxy. Some of the epoxies are extremely strong and resilient, such as some of the JB weld products. Some of it is even gasoline proof as some have repaired engine block cracks with the stuff. I have had great success with epoxies. Just make sure the surface is clean and dry when you apply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.