Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lid on pump has thin crack

1. Back To Top    #1

lid on pump has thin crack

How can I stop pump from leaking. There is a crack in the lid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lid on pump has thin crack

What do you mean by "the lid"

The pump really has no lid. Do you mean the lid on the skimmer that is attached to the pump or the lid of the filter housing itself?

You could *try* using a soldering iron, or similar device, to melt the crack closed, but chances are it will not work, or will work, but not last too long.

If the crack is in the lid of the skimmer basket, then you should be able to get a new one either on line or at a pool store. If the crack is in the top of your filter housing, you may be able to get a replacement, but chances are it will not be worth the cost compared to the cost of an entirely new filter housing.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

3. Back To Top    #3

Not long ago I bought a used pump and the lid was missing completely. These are easy to get from Amazon and fairly cheap. Mine cost $14 for my Hayward pump. And yes I am talking about the skimmer/strainer that is attached to the pump.
    If you can get a model number of the pump, it would be easier to help with getting what you need. Sometimes you can get lucky with an epoxy, but already there you would be paying half the price of a new lid.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would try to seal with a two-part epoxy. Some of the epoxies are extremely strong and resilient, such as some of the JB weld products. Some of it is even gasoline proof as some have repaired engine block cracks with the stuff. I have had great success with epoxies. Just make sure the surface is clean and dry when you apply.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

5. Back To Top    #5

We like pictures

If you expect the lid to flex a little, i would use silicone or RTV
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs