New build, can I partially fill for a few days?

StephL

Jun 15, 2015
Dewinton, Alberta
We are just in the process of setting up our 27ft round steel-wall above-ground this week. The ground is finally level, and we're renting the plate compactor tonight. We'd love to get it all set up this week, HOWEVER....we are going camping for 4 days this weekend. We're not really comfortable filling the pool entirely, and then having the heater/pump/filter running while we are away and unable to fix a problem that might arise. I understand the pool requires some level of water to help support the walls....so, I'm wondering whether I can half-fill the pool before we leave, and that way when we get back, we just need to fill the rest of the pool and hook up the filter etc.....

Yes that would hold the walls....but then without care it can go green, then you have to deal with that.
I wonder if there is a chemical mux one can put in to keep it from blooming.....like some CYA and chlorine maybe?

We'd be filling with fresh well water, so no chlorine or treatment at all....I imagine it would get slimy pretty quick if just left to its own devices!! I imagine adding some 'extra' chemicals or something of the like at the beginning, and then when we refill the second half 4 days later it would help to balance out a bit. I'll do a little Pool School reading and see if we can come up with something!

I say fill it up all of the way.

-add enough CYA to get to 10ppm BELOW your target level. You are going to have to hand squeeze it all in unless you pay for the liquid CYA. I had squeezed all of mine in over a couple of hours. I wanted it IN!

-Get a puck holder and put 2 pucks in it in your pool and let them float around and add their chlorine and CYA at the same time.

I think you should be good with this method for your trip.

Oh and I would use bleach or chlorine (whatever you will be using on a day to day basis) to push your FC up to SLAM level right before you leave. Make SURE to get is mixed in good!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My installer had me fill the pool 1/2 way and then he came back the next day and cut the skimmer and return. Then, he left me to fill it the rest of the way. Not four days but filling half way was enough to prevent trouble. I would mix some bleach in a 5 gallon bucket of water and broadcast it around the pool water. Go camping.

Morzh- the only real reason would be that it would be a new setup, and we'd not be here to see if anything catastrophic happened. I'd hate to come home to a collapsed pool and flooded yard!! But, what am I really going to do about it if I am here...stand outside with a bucket?! ;) We are stalled anyway right now, as there are thunderstorms in the forecast and it is raining. Grr!

Thanks for all of the chem advice! My hubby is going to Pool School today! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.