Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains - Stubborn Yellow Walls

1. Back To Top    #1

After Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains - Stubborn Yellow Walls

Hi:

I carefully and meticulously followed the thread on Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains with URL http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

One month ago after the initial use of about two pounds of Ascorbic Acid the pool looked like this:

June 13, 2015

One month later after using 5 qt. of Metal Sequestering Agents (2 qts. SunCoast Super Metal Treatment, 2 qts. of 'The Blue Stuff', and 1 qt of SunCoast Copper Metal Treatment), installing two Culator packs, and running the pump 24-7 backwashing almost daily the pool is once again gaining yellow walls. For the last two weeks in June I added no Cl and just used polyquat and H2O clarifier only. Since July 1, I have started adding Cl slowly and am now using just the tablets and the Cl has been meticulously kept at 1.5-1.0 while the PH has been maintained at around 7.2-7.4. Last week I added enough Soda Ash to bring up the Total Alkalinity and also added Calcium Carbonate to bring up the Calcium Hardness to normal. The walls are a dull yellow which makes the pool look greenish and not as pretty (but the grandkids use it anyway). Here is what it looks like this morning:

July 13, 2015

The pictures somewhat show the net effect. Right after Ascorbic Acid treatment the walls are totally white, one month later (and over $300 spent in chemicals, etc) the walls look yellowish.

Having lived with this for 29+ years, I could leave it alone. My well water has sulphur but almost no iron. My neighbor's well water has iron but almost no sulphur. Go figure. All piping is PVC. There is a sand filter on the pool. I am encouraged by the posts I read in TroubleFreePool.com that there may be some real advise out there. Thank you in advance!

-Tony-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 Gal in-ground fiberglass pool constructed in 1980 with Hayward hardware. Oval Shaped. I have been the owner/maintainer since 1986. Have a sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains - Stubborn Yellow Walls

Welcome!

There are many others here with metal experience and I'm sure they will weigh in. Sorry no one welcomed you yet.

Hope you stick around and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: After Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains - Stubborn Yellow Walls

I have the same problema....my walls are much worse

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Tony,
    Have you verified those are actually metal stains again and not algae?
    With FC so low for so long, its isnt beyond the realm of reality for a pool to get algae even with the addition of the polyquat.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!