Algae won't go away after shocking

Jul 13, 2015
Southeast Michigan
Hi, I'm new to this forum....

I had what I thought was algae (dark spots on bottom that created a puff of green water when brushed) so I did the following: half quart algaecide 60, run filter 1 hour, 1 bag shock, run filter 5 hours, off 5 hours, vacuum to waste. Repeat. Then, Added 4 oz of clear blue clarifier. The next day I put a sock in the filter and it turned green still. Pool store thought maybe it was a copper problem so I put in 20oz of natural chemistry copper out. Ran pool for about 18 hours. Today the water is cloudy, when I look in the skimmer, there is algae growing, the window on top of the pump has algae growing. I just back washed hoping to clear it. The water coming out looked clear. So my question is: why is there still algae after being shocked twice and what should I do?

I have a 21ft round above ground pool with a sand filter. When I had my water tested yesterday prior to the metal free, my water tested:
FAC 5
TAC 5
CH 200
CYA 50
TA 100
PH 7.4
Copper 0.2
Iron 0
TDS 525
Phosphates 0
Temp 70

I do have a few pine trees in my yard (pool stores have asked)

I am desperate at this point! Thank you!

Welcome, and good to have you aboard!

We do things a little differently than all that, but the simple truth is that you have not elevated the Free Chlorine high enough, and not kept it there long enough to kill all the Algae. We will suggest that you get your own test kit, learn about some basics and fix the pool based on that knowledge and your own test results. In your case, I suggest the TF100 Kit, as you will need a good amount of reagent to complete a SLAM process on your pool. It's a controlled procedure to rid the pool of Algae. Have a look at Pool School while you wait on a new kit, and start with the ABCs. Good luck, and let us know how when you run into questions.

Welcome, and good to have you aboard!

We do things a little differently than all that, but the simple truth is that you have not elevated the Free Chlorine high enough, and not kept it there long enough to kill all the Algae. We will suggest that you get your own test kit, learn about some basics and fix the pool based on that knowledge and your own test results. In your case, I suggest the TF100 Kit, as you will need a good amount of reagent to complete a SLAM process on your pool. It's a controlled procedure to rid the pool of Algae. Have a look at Pool School while you wait on a new kit, and start with the ABCs. Good luck, and let us know how when you run into questions.

Thanks! I'm a little apprehensive to spend $68 on a test kit. I've been spending so much money trying to fix this problem! Will it last me a long time?

Also, I looked at the chart and it says I will need my FC to be 20 to shock. Mine was only at 5. This worries me that going this high will ruin my liner. (Sorry I'm a newbie!) I use a chlorinater with tablets. It recommends I use bleach or liquid chlorine instead. How much will it take to increase that much?

Thank you for your help!!

A one-time (or even two-time) dump of chlorine will not suffice. The chlorine immediately begins to get used up killing algae, so the FC will drop quickly. Additionally, you need to brush thoroughly to expose the algae to the chlorine. This is why you must maintain a high FC level until the algae is completely gone.

You CYA and pH are in decent shape for this process, though not exactly ideal, but close enough that you shouldn't delay. Get yourself one of the kits with the proper chlorine test, and bide your time by skimming and raking any debris out of the pool that you can.

When you come out the other side of a proper SLAM, you won't ever have to worry about weekly dumps, algaecides, clarifiers, flocculent, etc.

Most of the test kit reagents will last for two seasons though perhaps the chlorine tests will mostly last for one since you use them the most, but the refill pack (after you have your kit) doesn't cost nearly as much and is discounted once a year in March down to $32 plus shipping. So figure that's the annual cost (at most) after you initially buy the kit. After that, you can pick and choose to refill selected reagents if you find that to be more economical. You will also save money using the methods taught here since you should have no need for any regular shocking and no need for algaecides, phosphate removers, clarifiers, flocculants, enzymes, or other supplemental products besides chlorine and some acid plus whatever CYA you need to bump up from water dilution.

Thanks! I'm a little apprehensive to spend $68 on a test kit. I've been spending so much money trying to fix this problem! Will it last me a long time?

Also, I looked at the chart and it says I will need my FC to be 20 to shock. Mine was only at 5. This worries me that going this high will ruin my liner. (Sorry I'm a newbie!) I use a chlorinater with tablets. It recommends I use bleach or liquid chlorine instead. How much will it take to increase that much?

Thank you for your help!!

use Pool Math, it is your new best friend. you put your pool volume at the top. Then put your current FC and the goal (20) and it will tell you how much you need, given the concentration of the bleach.

BUT, that is just the initial dose to get to 20. You need to keep it above 20 until you pass all three criteria. So you will need to buy quite a few containers for this process.

Lastly, I would wait until the test kit arrives so you can double-check that CYA level. Chronic puck users are usually higher than 50, and if we don't have a reliable CYA reading, you won't be targeting the proper FC SLAM level and just spinning your wheels.

not to pick on the OP, but I always find it amusing when people balk at the $70 for a test kit to take control of their pool. usually the people that don't want to spend it, are the same people that just throw down hundreds of $$ at a pool store, based on the advice of some pimple faced teenager that says...oh, your chlorine looks good, so you need some non-chlorinated shock and some clarifier. zero science, zero credibility, mega profit and $300 later they are dumping who knows what into their pools and will be back in two weeks and do it again.

but recommend a test kit so they know exactly whats happening in their own pool, and can come here to a non-biased and non-money driven resource? no way, im not doing it :) hehe.

I just find it ironic.

Bite the bullet, order the test kit...and then enjoy NEVER going back to the pool store and saving a TON of money! and oh yeah, a crystal clear pool that you will enjoy all summer long

I was just going to post...How much did the algaecide 60 cost? How many times do you need to buy it? I know "shock" isn't real expensive, but if you never needed it, how much would you save?

Being self-reliant is worth the $68 x 100000!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tvaughn6,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. You are already getting good advice but I will offer this. You must have a good test kit to get relaible consistent results. Pool store testing is suspect at best and downright off the charts wrong at worst. Everyone here wants to help and no one gets paid to help you. You need to have a good test kit to provide reliable information to the people who are answering your questions. I have been in your shoes before and there is no way I am ever going back to pool store testing and methods. One you understand pool chemistry you wont believe how easy, and cheap, it is to maintain your pool. I have been a member for three years and I still read Pool School at least twice yearly. Again, welcome to the forum and good luck!

Ok I am buying the kit and relying on this site and everyone here to help me with my next steps after getting a reading! :)

the best part about this site and getting information? we are making 0% commissions and have no financial gain whatsoever when offering advice....but we will offer you advice to save YOU the most money possible.

great decision to join this site, ask questions, listen to recommendations and get your pool under control.

Ok I am buying the kit and relying on this site and everyone here to help me with my next steps after getting a reading! :)

Sounds great, post up some numbers once you receive the kit and we will get you going :)

While your waiting, look around at some of the other people we have all been helping, I warn you, its addicting

Not all the members buy from tftestkits.net and not all buy the tf100, it is just a better value than other kits. You can buy a Taylor K2006 kit! Yes, I think the owner of this site and tftestkits are one in the same. What matters is that you get a reliable test kit, all the rest is fluff...I can tell you if you order from tftestkits you will get your shipment very fast. I cannot say that poolsupplyworld is fast, because it took sometime to get my robot from them.

All that aside, you must have a good test kit if you want to follow our methods. You will not regret getting a good kit, whether it be the K2006 or the TF-100. My money goes to tftestkits.net, because of the service this website provides. This service is far more valuable than 68.00 dollars!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.