Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand not good for pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand not good for pump?

I have been getting a lot of sand in my pool. It is coming from the Sahara and is a very fine brown sand. It settles in the corners of the pool and after vacuuming it up, the pump started making a terrible sound. I took the pump apart, cleaned it and it has been working fine with no noise for a couple weeks. But now there are more piles of sand at the bottom of the pool.

Is there a small filter I can put in-line of my vacuum hose to catch the sand before it goes into the pump?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sand not good for pump?

If you vacuum through your skimmer you can use a skimmer sock to catch the sand.

You can also fasten a sock or nylon stocking over the return jet as a temporary fix to catch the sand before it gets in the pool, but you need to fix whatever is broken and allowing sand to pass into the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by lborne View Post
    I have been getting a lot of sand in my pool. It is coming from the Sahara and is a very fine brown sand......... ?
    Sahara as in "Sahara Desert" LOL?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not kidding - Sahara Desert sand - going as far as Texas - google recent news reports. This happens every so often - sometimes it just makes it somewhat hazy. But this time there is quite a bit falling out of the sky. I notice it most on the solar panels on the roof.

Anyway, I vacuum via a dedicated port. Can go thru the skimmer, but the hose goes right in the bottom - no adaptor or anything required, so no place to put a skimmer sock.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Maybe something like this might work?

I can't seem to find any details like connection fitting size though.

http://poolandspasupply.com/hayward-...-canister.html

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!