Run-in with an Ionizer

Jun 28, 2013
Augusta, GA
Hey all, thought I would share my experience and concerns with a neibghor who uses a copper ionizer:

Neibghor mentioned that his new pool was having a slimy feel on the bottom, so I figured it was a perfect time to bring over the ol' TF-100 and give him a quick rundown on pool chemistry, CYA-Chlorine relationship, etc. I know he has been using an ionizer, and supplimenting with a floater and tri-clor. As I get done testing for cl and not registering any, his wife comes out and makes it clear that that the ionizer is working great. Remember the slimy bottom? In her defense, the water was very clear, but sundown and a dark liner can hide some cloudiness.

She goes into further detail explaining how they are instructed to add one bad of calcium-hypo once a week to aid the ionizer. I then ask how is bather waste and other nastiness handled throughout the rest of the week and she replies 'thats what the ionizer does'. I started to explain that the copper ionizer works well for algae, but nothing else. At this point, she starts getting real defensive and I lay off the sharing of knowledge and compliment her on her methods. Meanwhile, her husband, who has shared his skepticism of the ionizer before, seems to have digested some of what I explained.

Well, I tried. I will also be there if they ask for help, but meanwhile I will be enjoying my trouble free pool. BTW, guess who's children will NOT be spending any time in the neibghors pool?

Did she design and build the ionizer herself? No. So why is she so defensive about it? Did she make the purchase decision and doesn't want to seem like a fool for making a bad decision? It's not her fault. The company that sold it to her or advertised it to her deceived her. It happens all the time. How is one supposed to know when a company is lying or deceiving? It's hard unless you do thorough research and know enough of the true facts to refute their claims of fill in the missing details they aren't disclosing. Or, of course, come to TFP where we will give you the real scoop.

what were the test results?!

I got as far as measuring for FC and PH with the OTO, and got such a light shade of yellow that I suspect that it was less than .5ppm. Keep in mind that this was 1 day after adding their weekly dose of cal-hypo. I shudder at the thought of the condition of the water in 5 days, before their next dose of cal-hypo. She did not understand that clear water does not equal clean water.

- - - Updated - - -

Did she design and build the ionizer herself? No. So why is she so defensive about it? Did she make the purchase decision and doesn't want to seem like a fool for making a bad decision? It's not her fault. The company that sold it to her or advertised it to her deceived her. It happens all the time. How is one supposed to know when a company is lying or deceiving? It's hard unless you do thorough research and know enough of the true facts to refute their claims of fill in the missing details they aren't disclosing. Or, of course, come to TFP where we will give you the real scoop.

Dunning-Kruger runs deep with this neibghor....

I have a neighbor who also has an ionizer. I just can't understand how they can sell someone a device that just shines UV light on water, for an outdoor pool in a climate with 300+ days of very bright sunshine. They were told it will allow them to keep their chlorine level at a fraction of what others would need. They keep having algae outbreaks, and have even had to have the ionizer repaired, yet they still don't want to hear about the TFP method.

::::runs to Google to check out what Duning-Kruger effect means::: Ooooh, this is gooooood. Makes a LOT of sense to me.

I would have said something about how you learned how "algae can feel slimy and people are often surprised that clear(ish) water doesn't guarantee healthy water..."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.