New Pool Build Next Door - Green Water

Theo

May 17, 2010
GTA Ontario
Hi All,

Our next-door neighbours have a new pool going in. During the construction process the heavy machinery has kicked up A LOT of dust and dirt and much of it ended up in our pool.

Construction started last Tuesday, our pool went green Saturday AM and after 48 hours of SLAM-ing it hasn't improved much, and were getting heavy staining on the fiberglass stairs and ladder steps.

Current #'s via Taylor K-2006

FC 10.5
CC .05
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 140
CYA 30

I've been trying to hold FC @ 12 PPM but it keeps dropping. Since Friday (posting this Monday AM) I've added a total of 10L of 12% liquid chlorine to get to, and maintain shock level of 12PPM.

Should I stay the course with SLAM-ing? With the CC @ .05 and chlorine losses I'm assuming the answer is yes, but 10L of chlorine in 48 hours seem like a heck of a lot.

That's a lot amount of chlorine for your size pool for two days (32 FC @ 12.5% bleach, 22 @ 8.25% bleach). Going to have the stay the course however.

When you say staining on the steps and ladder, is that just where the dust is collecting or is it actual staining that won't go away with brushing?

It's a shame their not doing more for dust control during the process. Excessive dust is usually discouraged with construction and many contractors will keep soil damp during excavation and use proper techniques during installation to minimize. Is it ground dust, concrete dust or otherwise... or all of the above?

I think you answered your own question. Stay the course and complete the entire SLAM process. You can bump the target level to 15ppm I'd you cannot test every couple of hours so it does not fall below SLAM level. Just test and add as often as you can.

Thanks all for reaffirming that I'm on the right path. Yes, the pump has been running 24/7 for sure.

I can usually turn a funky pool around in 24 hours. The amount of time and volume of chlorine was unprecedented, thus my concern. We're also experiencing the peak pool weather of a very short pool season up here in Toronto, that makes a green pool especially unwelcome.

I just picked up another 10L of chlorine... back to the measuring cup!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.