Another ?-we finally have an almost full pool!

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
Hello All,

So I'm the one who's had the nonstop rain in Missouri that really delayed getting my pool up. I have a 24x52 Intex metal frame that I scored for $225.00 last fall! I bought an Intex sand filter pump & it's all installed. The pool is almost full-has about 6 " to go. So........due to some major expenses & other issues ($4800 new HVAC system for one:(), I just got my pool kit ordered & have not received it yet. I went ahead & did my dinky Walmart test a couple of days ago at about 3300 gallons & added appropriate bleach. I did not add anything yesterday. My water is very clear but I know I need to do something until test kit arrives. Should I just follow the guidelines in Pool Math for what values I can get in my dinky test kit which is chlorine, PH, & Br? According to the first time I plugged in those values, it directed me to add bleach & CYA & I think borax but some of you said I might not even need the borax. I didn't have CYA b/c I bought the wrong thing, but bought some yesterday at Walmart. Would you guys recommend I do this or just adding a gallon of bleach per day until I get my test kit?

Also, can my 10 yo swim in the pool after adding these chemicals or does she have to wait as in traditional shocking-I realize this probably isn't a shock, but my sister who has an IG tells me she has to wait. She doesn't know exactly what I'm doing since she's a die hard traditionalist but I figured I can convert her after having such an awesome pool experience of my own:p!! TIA everyone.

Yes, you need bleach, since sunlight destroys unstabilized chlorine within hours. And yes you need CYA, since tap water has none. You may or may not need acid or borax. It just depends on what the pH is.

A gallon a day is Waaaaaay too much bleach. Half a jug of plain 8.25% Clorox will take FC up to 3, which is plenty high with no CYA.

Add your daily bleach in front of the return and while that's mixing, measure out the CYA granules into the sock and set it in the skimmer or suspend it in front of the return. By the time you're done messing with that, things will be well-mixed and you can adjust pH if needed. Without knowing TA, you might need multiple adjustments to get pH in range.

If you can see to the bottom and the water is clear AND the pH is between 7.2& 7.8 AND you have some bleach in the pool, it's okay to swim. You don't need to wait for the CYA to dissolve 100%; just leave it out of sight in the skimmer or pull the sock and set it in a bucket while kids are in the water so they don't start playing with it and make it break open.

Keep adding your bleach every day and when you get the test kit, post up the full set of test results and someone will be along to guide you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.