Solar Cover dimension recommendations

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
My pool (without the steps) is 17 * 33. It is 17 wide and it comes to about 13' in the center and 16 feet near the diving board. I have read that as long as 80% of the pool surface is covered that should be sufficient.

What dimensions should I get?

Swimming Pool and Spa Solar Cover Blankets

Should I also cut out the liner or just rest on the pool? Does it make a difference if the cover rests against the liner or can that cause problems with the heat?

I was looking the at 14' by 28', which would mean that the middle of the cover would be slightly bent upwards, or even downwards. This would provide me with at least 80% coverage. Thank you.

You want the cover to be slightly smaller than the pool so it is floating from edge to edge. If the cover curls up onto the liner, wind will catch it and fold it over or even pull it off the pool. They are easy to trim with scissors.

I am also looking into a solar cover, I looked at the price from your URL and you can get it cheaper from solarcovers.com Although I do not have definitive answer I would think the more coverage the better, the cover, from what I read and a video by bobodaclown, it is easily cut with scissors, so why not get one a little larger and cut to size? From what I understand if you do not have it laying on the water vs up on the side of the pool the wing will pick up the edge and blow it off the pool. Also, if not cut to size it may blow around and bunch up inside the pool, see this thread, I also am in NJ and am trying to figure out if I should get 8mm blue or 16mm clear. From what I understand the covers do not really heat the pool but prevent heat loss. But the 16mm is heavier and may be more difficult to put on and remove, I need 1 person operation. I am also looking at a removable reel. The question for me is it worth it to pay $104 for a blue 8mm or $178 for clear 16mm. Will 16mm increase heat retention significantly more in our climate to justify increased cost and increased work to put on and remove and does the portable reel make it an easy 1 person operation? I have also seen on this site a DIY system to cut the cover into sections then attach a floatable PVC so it will roll up in sections by Mass895. Maybe someone with much more expertise will comment on this for us.

My pool is only 14,700 gallons and I would prefer the 8 ml. I have a darker liner and with the circulation system, my pool has a tendency to heat up pretty quickly. We were already at 85 degrees on Sunday and 82 this morning (not bad). I only need the cover to provide a slight advantage. I doubt that the pool will heat up 15 degrees. I would be happy with 4-6 on a normal day. The issue is the air temperature. Once it cools down and you are out of the water, it gets cold.

Thank you for your help. I will be looking at other sites and order a larger cover and cut to the shape of the pool so the wind does not take it away.

If you are using a reel, there is very little difference in how difficult it is to put on and take off the cover. Makes no real difference if it 8 or 16 mil. The primary difference will be how long it will last and how easily it tears. I have a heavy weight clear one that is about three of four years old now. My previous one was a lighter weight and didn't even make it through two years. But without the reel this cover would be a task to put on and take off. I have never seen any difference in how efficient any solar cover is. It seems to make little difference if they are blue or clear, 8 mil or 16. They all retain the water temp about the same. So I would go light weight if not using a reel, and heavy with a reel.

Thanks chiefwej, Do you use a bag/cover around the reel and rolled up solar cover when cover is not on pool. It seems your 16 mil cover lasts longer than others who report 2 years for 8 mil and 3 for 16 mil. If thicker cover lasts 1.6 times longer or greater, than it is worth it to get the thicker cover, at 1.3 times longer the thinner cover wins. Also I am looking at buying the Stainless Steel Solar Reel from solarcovers.com. Does anyone have any experience with this especially if the reel moves from its position when donning or doffing the cover. It appears it would be an easy way for 1 person to move the cover away from the pool area when not in use.

Yes, I do have a cover I put over it when it's stored along side the house. It's actually the bag it was shipped in. I just slit it down the side and drape it over the cover and snap a couple bungie cords on. It keeps the UV light from destroying the cover.

That looks like a good choice for a reel. I like the big wheels. Mine has four casters, which are fine on the pool deck, but it has to be lifted anytime it's off the deck. PITA!

Most on this forum report similar life span for covers (which is usually 3 seasons, but a season in AZ is much longer than a season in Chicago) regardless of the thickness. Chiefwej is giving good advice. Personally, I bought my 8 ml almost exactly 3 years ago and it is still in pretty good shape. I leave it on the pool quite often, but I am in the north so my seasons are only about 3-4 months.

I would definitely go with the thinner one if you are going to be manually taking it on and off. Mine is not easy to handle as it is, I get in the pool and roll it on a pvc pipe. If it was twice as thick (or thereabouts) I don't know what I would do.

Consider that, although our pool season is longer, a solar cover is only in use a very brief time at the beginning and end of that period. It's use is to extend the pool season. Mid season many here are often looking to cool the water. Most of the year the cover is just stored on its reel along side my house with a cover protecting it. This may explain the longer lifespan.

Thanks everyone some good info. I called the company that sells the reel and asked if a 40 ft long 16 mil cover would fit on the reel, they said it would not and it would also bend the reel tube as it is too heavy the max size is 12 mil. They said that only rocky reel would support 16 mil which is quite a bit more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update to a 3YO tread.

Thought I would share my experience with a 16 mil pool blanket.

My premium 16 mil cover is in its 4th season and is beginning to deteriorate. It may hang on through this season but it is questionable.

I live in SW FL so I only need the cover for heat retention during the cooler months, (Dec-Mar) and I only cover the pool when the outside temp is forecast to drop below 60°F overnight. During the warmer 8 months, the cover is folded up and stored indoors. The 16 mil cover is bulky and difficult to handle and store.

I bought the cover for the sole purpose of reducing heat loss. I have a small 9,300 gallon in-ground pool. I have a high efficiency heat pump to keep the water temp at 85°F. The heat pump can raise the water temp around one degrees an hour. With the cover installed, I only drop about 2-3 degrees overnight on the coldest nights. Without the cover, the water temp drops about 5-6 degrees. While I do save a bit of money with the cover, my main motivation is to have the pool at a comfy temperature throughout most of the day and this is where the cover proves its value for me.

My next cover will most likely be an 8 or 12 mil cover since the service life and insulating qualities are not all that much less. It will also be easier for me to handle and store the lighter weight cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.