FAC 2ppm
    TAC 2
    Salt 3100
    CH 210
    CYA 90
    TA 120
    pH 7.8
    Pho 1000

I am new to the pool ownership, well I have been trying to learn over the past year. The water looks clear and has a sparkle to it, bought the home with the pool it is in ground and maybe 3 years old at most. The only problem that I have been seeing after we left for a week is now we have backswimmers? I think that is what they are. I have been trying to catch them and dispose of them properly. Any ideas on how to get rid of them and do I need to adjust the chemistry of the water?
    Pool/Spa
    Salt water
    ~20,000
    Pentair equipment
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have some questions

We do not put much stock in pool store test results. Too many times they have been not just wrong but WAY wrong and leading to much $$ spend with little to no results.

Look at my siggy to find the test kits we all use and love. A little money up front will save you major money in the end.

Proper FC will help get rid of the backswimmers.

Here is a chart for FC/CYA. As you can see your FC is low so...........you are in danger of having more problems.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Let us know when you get your test kit and we can walk you through how to do it. There are videos that show it also.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Taylor K2006C test kit.Thank you for your help.
    Pool/Spa
    Salt water
    ~20,000
    Pentair equipment
    Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

pH could be lower...CYA must be lower...FC absolutely must be higher.

Water chemistry won't get rid of bugs, at least anything that a pool would use.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I have read that borates help reduce bug populations. We have borates and a few bugs. But, we live in the woods so maybe without borates we would have lots of bugs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Use your test kit and the links given to find what you need to do to keep your water clear.

In my pool when I have backswimmers I just push my FC to SLAM level overnight and they are dead. I have a pond right behind my pool so I know that is where they come from.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit