New member - Hi

Davey

Jul 13, 2015
Abruzzo, Italy
Hi All,

I have taken the plunge and for the first time in my life am the owner of a pool. Great, that's almost the easy part, however now comes the hard bit, keeping it in a usable condition, always knew this came with the territory, however I have so uch to learn and in such a short space of time.
Have alrready an urgent question, and will doubtlessly have numerous others so hope the forum will be able to help. May be one day I will know enough to impart advice of my own (in my dreams!).

Immediate question is - My pool is at my holiday/retirement home in Italy, I live in the UK, and so visit but am not in permanen residence. The weather at the moment is very hot. I have someone who is willing to maintain the pool which is great, however I am trying to balance what I believe is his intent to keep the pool ready to use at all times, (with associated costs) when my view is that I just need it to be ready for use when I arrive, and so should just recieve sufficient to keep it safe and clean in the interim. Am I being sensible, or is my view based on naievity?

Davey

Hello Davey and welcome to TFP. I would suggest it is best to keep the pool in a relatively good, chemically balanced state at all times. This will not only ensure the water is ready for use at any time, but also help to maintain your equipment properly as well. It's not hard really, and the fact you have someone on-site who can do the work for you is fantastic. You both should have access to this site and the tools required to maintain a pool. It starts with the proper test kit: TFTestkits.net. In the meantime, please review the Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and you both will be in good shape. Welcome to TFP!