New 12' x 20' x 52" AGP owner with lots of questions.

Jul 13, 2015
canyon lake
Hi, I recently had a doughboy pool installed in my back yard. I should have installed it myself but my better half wouldn't let me. She meant well and was trying to do me a favor by having a "pro" install it. It's not perfect but what is anymore? Anyway, it is what it is and we love it! Now, It's time for me to learn how to take care of it. I'm 63 years old and my better half is a few years younger. We live in Canyon Lake Ca. and it gets hot here! We paid our dues with a starter pool last year (if you can call it a pool) which was 10' x 36" deep. It was small to say the least but she was in that little pool almost every day. This year it was time to go a little bigger. Now, it's time for pool school if you'll have me. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I always suggest that you start with "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll answer some questions and hopefully prompt you to ask some as well.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

I'm ready for some hot! We're finally going to get above the low 90s this week. Normally we are in the 100s by now.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you started.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.