SWG reads "Cold" in Summer

That would point to a problem with your temperature sensor in the SWG. The normal temp sensor cut off for SWG to run is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. How long has it been since you have acid cleaned the cell?

I never have...never looked that bad since directions seemed to be cautious about it. Has that fixed it before and how did you do it? The weird thing is the temperature reads correctly on the display and it will even work fine after unplugging it...then you check on it after awhile and it says "Cold" with no chlorine even though it says the water temp is 88 degrees. I cannot figure this one out.

That sounds like a call to support. If your temp is reading 88 and it's reading cold, the temp sensor is not likely the issue. I would call Hayward and get suggestions from them. They're usually pretty helpful if you get a good person on the line.

Cleaning is pretty straightforward but if it doesn't look like you have deposits on the cell, it may be fine. Check the owner's manual if you want details on cleaning the cell.

Yeah, I called them back to get a 2nd opinion and he said to try the acid wash first too. When I unplugged the cell, the temp went down to 77 and then back up to 91 when I plugged it back in...not sure if that means anything,but I will try the acid clean and update here. Do you know what the temp sensor looks like so I can make sure I clean it good? Thanks very much for your help.

You don't need to plug it. Put the cell on its end in a bucket and only fill the bucket until half the cell is submerged. Acid clean that end and then turn the cell over to clean the other end. Don't worry about the cord, it's water tight.

Other option is cover end with plastic wrap help in place with a rubber band, then stand it up in a bucket. Then carefully fill with diluted MA, let is soak for about 15-20 min. It should stop bubbling when done. Be careful emptying it. The rinse by blasting water through it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Other option is cover end with plastic wrap help in place with a rubber band, then stand it up in a bucket. Then carefully fill with diluted MA, let is soak for about 15-20 min. It should stop bubbling when done. Be careful emptying it. The rinse by blasting water through it.

That sounds good...does it leak when you do that or does it hold for the 15-20 minutes? Reason I ask is I want the top part to soak good where the temp sensor is, but today the diluted MA kept leaking out the bottom.

Before you fill it with MA, test it by filling with water. That way you will know if you have it leak proof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.