1st Time Open; Everything okay except Filter's Manual Air Cap Leaks

Pool-owner

Jul 12, 2015
Edison/NJ
:(

I am a newbie and for the first time, my wife and I decided to open up the pool (b/c we just changed the liner and the cover was already removed).

We followed all the instructions and tips and got to the point where we were starting the pump.

We have a Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter S244S. The instructions say we should not close the manual air cap on top until there all the air and air/water mixture got out, and until there is a "steady stream of water". So we just followed the instructions.

When we saw only water came out (no more air flow), I tried to tighten the air cap. However, water kept on leaking from the cap. It wouldn't stop after a few minutes and I had no choice but to turn off the pump. I tried to tighten it as much as possible by hand but couldn't stop the water.

We repeated the process (loosen it up; turn on pump; let all air and air/water got out first; until there was only water stream; tighten it). No luck - water kept on squirting out.

Could one of the forum experts advise how we may stop the leaks from the air cap? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site. Typically on these air bleeders there should be a small O-ring that seals them at the base. It sounds as if you may need to replace that O-ring. You can check the owners manual or contact Hayward for a part number then Google on-line for a replacement. Many pool stores also have O-ring kits for various parts of the filer. I suspect that's the culprit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.