Dolphin Active 30i review

I don't know for sure what caused them but they are mostly in an area in the deep end that doesn't get walked on. I sent it back to Maytronics and they didn't find anything wrong with it an believe it was the installers that left debris, small stones, under the liner that compromised the liner. I also contacted the liner company and they blamed the installer as well.

So we have the Apollo model from Maytronics since we had our pool installed in 2013. It works awesome....we had never even used a manual vacuum....UNTIL at the end of last season we noticed we were losing water. Turns out we have many pinholes (like 25) in the vinyl liner where tiny pebbles were underneath and the robot going over them caused wear and tear. I am not sure who or what is at fault. We have a concrete base pool with steel walls. We submitted a pool liner claim to Maytronics but they denied it because we don't have pictures of the pin holes BEFORE they were patched. I am waiting to hear back if it would make a difference to unpatch them to take pictures. My pool company has offered to split the cost of a new liner but I am afraid the same thing will happen... any advice or thoughts welcome

Ha sounds like what I went through. I had 22 pin holes in my new liner.

I've had my Active 30i for a few weeks now. Overall I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure it warrants the higher price tag.

My biggest gripe with it is the cord. It's a pain in the arse to "reel" back up. It has a mind of its own, wanting to twist itself in opposite directions, and I'm constantly wrangling it in line trying to put it away. Other problem I have is it gets tilted onto its back on my steps. Has happened only 3 times, once back-to-back though which was annoying. It also doesn't seem to move sideways very well when scrubbing the water line. It moves very very slowly and only goes a foot or so before it retracts back down the wall.

On the upside, it cleans pretty well. Pool is pretty much spotless once it's finished. The filter is easy to clean (I clean it and store it after every use).

On the upside, it cleans pretty well. Pool is pretty much spotless once it's finished. The filter is easy to clean (I clean it and store it after every use).

That is what it is all about right there! :D :D

I would like if anyone else has the same experience with the waterline side movement action, but honestly if it cleans the pool well that is the only reason I would want it.

I've had my Active 30i for a few weeks now. Overall I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure it warrants the higher price tag.

My biggest gripe with it is the cord. It's a pain in the arse to "reel" back up. It has a mind of its own, wanting to twist itself in opposite directions, and I'm constantly wrangling it in line trying to put it away. Other problem I have is it gets tilted onto its back on my steps. Has happened only 3 times, once back-to-back though which was annoying. It also doesn't seem to move sideways very well when scrubbing the water line. It moves very very slowly and only goes a foot or so before it retracts back down the wall.

Your description of the sideways movement (or lack thereof) is definitely not normal. As for the cord, how are you winding it? It's easiest to put the cleaner on its base and then wind from the cleaner side to the loose connector end and then tuck that in when you're finished. If you're keeping the connector attached when you wind you will end up with a mess; otherwise it's a snap.

Your description of the sideways movement (or lack thereof) is definitely not normal.
Suggesting I call the company?

As for the cord, how are you winding it? It's easiest to put the cleaner on its base and then wind from the cleaner side to the loose connector end and then tuck that in when you're finished. If you're keeping the connector attached when you wind you will end up with a mess; otherwise it's a snap.
I disconnect the power, get any obvious "tangles" out of the cord (twists, really), and then start looping it onto the caddy starting from the end connected to the bot, like you described. Problem is there are twists in the cord, just like with a garden hose, and if I don't obey those twists by either looping the cord differently or pushing the twists further down the length of the cord then it won't stay on the caddy and pops off and becomes a big mess. If I straighten the cord out completely end to end before I start wrapping it then it's fine. But right after the next use it's back to being annoying.

Suggesting I call the company?

I disconnect the power, get any obvious "tangles" out of the cord (twists, really), and then start looping it onto the caddy starting from the end connected to the bot, like you described. Problem is there are twists in the cord, just like with a garden hose, and if I don't obey those twists by either looping the cord differently or pushing the twists further down the length of the cord then it won't stay on the caddy and pops off and becomes a big mess. If I straighten the cord out completely end to end before I start wrapping it then it's fine. But right after the next use it's back to being annoying.

I would suggest you have the cleaner checked out by Maytronics for both issues. I have encountered zero "twists" of the cord in my regular use over the last 6 weeks. I unfurl the cord, drop the device into the pool and when the cycle ends I disconnect the cord from the power supply replace the cord on the spool. Never once have I encountered a tangle. It comes back the same way it went in. Something's amiss.

I can get the Active 30i for $1095 at a dealer about half hour from me. How does this compare to what others are seeing around on pricing?

-Mckey
I paid $300 less. It was probably only slightly over invoice price to the distributor due to the hookup I had, but there is at least $300 in markup there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could somebody please describe the function of the buttons on the power supply? I feel utterly dense for not finding a description in the manual.

Regarding the putting away the floating cord, I find that using an "over/under" approach keeps it tangle free and not such a fight. The cable's ability to avoid tangled in the pool is pretty impressive.

My pool has both entry steps as well as a deep bench/shelf neither of which have posed any problem for the 300i as yet. It just climbs right up and cleans them nicely.

The only thing which has interfered with its wall cleaning has been a protrusion into the pool by a Polaris quick connect fitting. However, the Dolphin has practically replaced our Polaris for summertime use at least so I need to clean that up for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could somebody please describe the function of the buttons on the power supply? I feel utterly dense for not finding a description in the manual.

Regarding the putting away the floating cord, I find that using an "over/under" approach keeps it tangle free and not such a fight. The cable's ability to avoid tangled in the pool is pretty impressive.

My pool has both entry steps as well as a deep bench/shelf neither of which have posed any problem for the 300i as yet. It just climbs right up and cleans them nicely.

The only thing which has interfered with its wall cleaning has been a protrusion into the pool by a Polaris quick connect fitting. However, the Dolphin has practically replaced our Polaris for summertime use at least so I need to clean that up for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Supply 2015

Big button (obviously on/off)
Next button to the right (delay timer) selects number of days you want cleaner to operate (click to select 7 days, 4 days, 3 days, in that order)
Next button (full/half cycle) half is one hour, floor only
Next button - 2 hour delayed start

Next button to the right (delay timer) selects number of days you want cleaner to operate (click to select 7 days, 4 days, 3 days, in that order)
I don't get this option at all. No where and no one recommends leaving these things in the pool any longer then they need to be. So why does this even exist? The option should just read: "At what fraction do you wish to reduce the life of your large expense?"

So before we went out to run some errands I put the bot in the pool. Came home and found this :( --
Photo%20Jun%2022%2C%208%2044%2041%20PM.jpg

And i I recorded a video of me trying to wrap up the cord. I first try to let the cord tell me what to do. That fails half way through and I need to resort to force it my way by pushing the twists down the line.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x66y5asr0yew5td/Video Jun 22, 8 48 29 PM.mov?dl=0

Thanks for the instructions on the Power Supply, not sure how I managed to miss that link. Admittedly, I would personally prefer the 1,2,3 buttons serve the various cleaning modes rather than cleaning interval because the bluetooth system is so darn slow to deal with and I do not leave the robot in my pool. For now, it appears the big power button is all I'll be using.

Regarding the cord wrapping, my suggestion of over/under wrapping assumed that there was a free end. Since it's pretty hard to get that at the robot, I always unplug from the power supply and wrap toward that end from the robot. Admittedly, I have no "caddy" so no particular reason to leave everything connected when I pull the robot from the pool but I can say it's a lot easier when the free end is left to ravel naturally.

So before we went out to run some errands I put the bot in the pool. Came home and found this :( --
Photo%20Jun%2022%2C%208%2044%2041%20PM.jpg

And i I recorded a video of me trying to wrap up the cord. I first try to let the cord tell me what to do. That fails half way through and I need to resort to force it my way by pushing the twists down the line.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x66y5asr0yew5td/Video Jun 22, 8 48 29 PM.mov?dl=0
Awww... So cute! It's taking a widdle nap.

I came across this during my season in h*** (read: robotic pool cleaner purchase research). I was leaning towards a Dolphin Quantum which is the latest iteration of the Active 30 (I guess) but there are no reviews to be found, and they do not make clear what has changed, other than the name and colors.

They state on the main page that the Quantum's cycle time is 2 hours, yet on the specifications page, they say it's 2.5 hours. Bluetooth support is not mentioned at all, so maybe they've removed that feature. No remote or caddy is mentioned, either.

Today I received and tried a Hayward TigerShark QC, and found it gets caught on my drains both with and without that little plastic piece they give you to snap on underneath to increase suction. That piece of junk is going back.

I have no idea what to do at this point, and I'm tired of the marketing games and confusion.

My cord wrapping has gotten easier as I am no longer wrapping it onto the caddy. I wrap it in hand and then place it on the caddy. It's still a pain sometimes, but I can usually tell when it's going to be and just stretch it out end to end first and then it's fine. Bot has only gotten stuck once more since I last posted.

Syntax....I apologize but I got a big giggle watching your video.....but I feel your pain. I have a Dolphin s300i and fought with wrapping the cord. I have a lot of unused cord so I found keeping the unused part wrapped up and tied with a string helped. After I unplug mine I let it sit out in the heat a few minutes to warm up and get a little more pliable then it's easier to wrap. I think I will try your idea of wrapping it off of the caddy though. Mine also doesn't scrub the tile line that great. It only cleans about a foot or so here and there. Having a Grecian style pool once it gets in the corners it gives up. It's really a none issue though since I clean my tile line with a spong w rough side when I'm in the pool. It also tries hard to climb up my steps but has never gotten stuck or turned over. It's eventually just backs itself up. All in all though it does a fantastic job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.