Pool Pump Gauge has water in it

Jul 12, 2015
Kuna, ID
We have a hole in our inground pool liner. We are waiting for the new one to come in but still running the pool half full till it does. We were gone for a few days and a storm rolled through while we were gone. I went to check the pump pressure, noticed it was a little over 10 which is normal but there's water in the gauge. Is that normal? We do not have the skimmer basket running as the water is too low for that so water only runs through the drain in the bottom of the pool. Thanks for your help!

While it's not normal, it's pretty common. While having water in the gauge doesn't really hurt the accuracy of the gauge (until it freezes) it should be dry.

You can remove the gauge and see if you can dump the water out of it. Or you could just buy a new gauge since they're pretty cheap. If you're going to buy a new one you should get a 0-30 psi model.

Every single gauge I ever bought would eventually have water in it. Did not affect accuracy, readings stayed normal.
I wonder if the fact that the water has a coctail if various chemicals in it has to do with it, as the water possibly corrodes something that prevents it from going where it should not.
Unless I forgot to remove it before the freezing seazon (dies instantly) such a gauge usually would serve me for 2-3 seasons (I specifically kept a bad one as a dummy plug for using during the freezing season in my AGP).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.