Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello -- New to the TFP clan

1. Back To Top    #1

Tampa, Florida

Hello -- New to the TFP clan

Hello All,

Great to be part of the group. I have a long story of how I ended up here...

We moved from North Carolina to Florida just under two years ago. My grade-shool-aged son's "condition" of the move was that the new house had a pool. (Pool or not, we were moving, but I thought a pool would be fun, too!) With a very quick move, and never having owned a pool before, I though it best if I had someone maintain it for me. Did that for about six months -- water always looked great and was always told that levels were great.

So, I thought I could do it myself, still using the pool store as my testing place. Not living too far away, a once-a-week trip did not seem too bad. I did that for about a year. Things started going funny about three months ago when I started having stains appear on the bottom. I kept doing what the pool store told me to, and the stains never went away. Following what I now think (know?) was bad advice, I was able to get most of the stains gone. I went away for vacation, and had the pool store come and keep levels correct, etc. When we returned, the water started getting cloudy. Of course, the store blamed the dreaded phosphates. I did what they said, and have taken a week to get rid of the cloudiness. But that is the last time! I am ready to do this myself. (With the help of the great people on this forum!)

I have already read the introductory material, have a general knowledge of the proper chemistry (based on what the pool store guys told me). I am just waiting on my test kit. Will work on my signature soon. I will post specific questions in the proper places!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Hello -- New to the TFP clan

Welcome to TFP!!

Ask way if you have any questions, but it appears you have already jumped in with both feet!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

OH yeah another Florida person! WELCOME!!!!!!

You will NOT believe how clear your pool will be after we get through with it!

You are on the right track getting the test kit. Which kit did you get?

Let us know how we can help you take control of your pool.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you need help figuring out what equipment you have, check out
    Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment
    With a proper test kit, you'll be able to have water like this. And yes, it's full.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Cincinnati, OH

PS - we love pictures!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump