Looking for our first pool

Jul 12, 2015
midland tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey all I stumbled along this forum while I've been doing tons of reading and research. First off I live in west Texas and I have a 4 Year old son almost 5 and me and my wife and we go in to have a new baby boy tomorrow. I have been looking at pools and reading reviews till I am about sick. My backyard is pretty good size but I don't want to take the entire back yard up. Today I made up my mind to go get a 16x48 or 18x48 intex ultra frame pool. Well guess what. no one had it anywhere. not target, academy, sams, target, anyone near me. all I found was a coleman 16x48 but to many bad reviews for me to take that gamble. I did find at Walmart a intex 22x52 it looked nice, but then again I have read allot of bad reviews.

I went to our local pool store leslie pools and they have no intex pools but I look at some of the hard side pools they had up outside and left home to do some more reading. Know I am leaning more towards spend more money and get something better. but I cant find reviews on the hard side pools. What is your guys views on this. I am going to call the pool place probally Tuesday and ask if they install I am scared on making my yard 100 percent level?

whats better round or oval?

and is 18x52 plenty big for my family. what about 15x52 here are some links to things im looking at. Thanks. also if there is something else I need to look at im all ears. Thanks. I do have a buddy that has a in ground pool and is going to teach me all about the chemicals and care I am just looking for the pool for know.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/15x52-pool-pool-pkg/prod17540442.ip?navAction=

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/18x52-pool-pool-pkg/prod17540374.ip?navAction=

http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-...unc=addCouponCode&discountcode=MEMORIALDAY-15

well he will have a life jacket on. we have jet skis and take him to the lake all the time and he does fine. also he is starting swimming lessons next month as well so im not to worried about the kids getting hurt because they would never be in the pool without us of course. Also my son is 46 inches tall already and growing like a weed haha.

I like oval better. With the same amount of water gives you longer swimming distance.
If you plan to spend many years in the house, why not then build a proper pool with shallow kiddie part? Better than after few years tear it down and start over. It is a mistake to think you build a pool for kids. You build it for the family and it includes adults.

I hope this helps. If you're family likes water and it seems you do, skip Intex and get a hard sided pool. I started with Intex and after all of the upgrades and modifications, I could have just spent 2k from the start and gotten the better pool. The hard sided pools are solid and once they are up, they stay put. My experience with Intex is a bit less positive. I have a 15*52 and there are three of us. If I had the space, I definitely would have gone larger. When the kids start getting floats and row boats, you will buy lots of them, they take up space. I also never much thought about it but I added a second set of steps to my pool, which was one of my best decisions.
I purchased my pool locally and they offered $99 install. I jumped right on it because I never did get my Intex pools level and all these pools have to be level. If the local store is offering install, take it. If not, try Pool Supply Warehouse online. They have really good prices. I like Sharkline but I do not have a saltwater chlorinator. If you plan to get one, some pools will be off limits because the SWC will void the warranty.

I have never owned an Intex - I know many people are happy with them, but I think I would want a hard sided.

As for size - bigger is nice, but bigger costs more. I have a 27' round, and whenever I have to buy stuff (liners, covers, reels, etc) and I see the price difference between mine, and ones that fit a smaller pool - well trust me, I notice the difference. More water also means more cleaning, more chemicals, and longer filter run times (electricity) - and more gas if you run a heater.

I have a 48" pool and every so often I think about a 52" - but in reality 48" is just fine. What is that extra 4" in depth going to do for you - you are still not diving or jumping in. and it is just more water to keep clean.

I do like having a larger pool, but it can be an expensive pain at times. I also have a yard that can take that large of a pool and not be overwhelmed. I still have plenty of room for a playset, patio, two sheds, grass area, and can still drive a truck pulling a 4' x 8' trailer around the pool (for various reasons that has been a very handy thing). If my yard was smaller, I would not want a pool that big.

As far as brands, as long as you go with an established brand that has the features you want, then you should be OK. Different pools have different features and different materials and warranties. All for different prices.

If I was putting in a new pool, I would consider a Radiant pool Radiant Pools - but only after some more research. They are also pretty pricey.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.