Some Questions on New Pool

Mar 21, 2015
Tampa Bay, FL
Hi everyone,

Just filled our new pool this past Wednesday. I'm currently keeping up with the directions on the new PebbleSheen finish, but have some questions for the not-too-distant future when I start taking over the regular maintenance and chemistry.

1. My PB uses Natural Chemistry's ScaleFree during startup. I understand that this is a good product for starting a pool with new plaster, but there are also cheaper sequestrants out there. We do have some metals in the water so I want to use a sequestrant. Should I stick with the ScaleFree or is there something better?

2. The PB also is using PoolPerfect with PhosFree because he wants to eliminate phosphates in the water. I know from reading the forum that phosphates don't matter as long as the FC level is adequate, but will this product hurt anything? It appears that it's good for controlling oil and suntan lotion residue, so would it be bad to use a capful from time to time after a high bather load since he is leaving us with a bottle?

3. I'd like to eventually add Borates. I know from the threads on Borates that one needs to wait 30 days before adding them to a new pool. I have also read that there is typically a lot of pH rise with new plaster pools for quite some time, and I know that adding borates will increase the amount of acid necessary to lower the pH. I also have two sheer rain waterfalls that aerate the water, so I imagine that pH rise will always be an issue. Will the borates buffer the pH enough to reduce the rise, or should I wait longer before adding the borates?

Thanks!

1.. Google jacks Magic products

2. I'd use it when expecting a high bather or suntan lotion load.

3. Hold off on adding those borates for a while till you see how your pool actually performs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.