Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

I don't know what to do. I have had my pool since I bought the home about 14 years ago. It was here when we moved in so I'm not real sure how old it is. When we opened it up this year it was fairly clean although it had quite a few spiders in it and what looked like white mucous in the pool. We got rid of all of it and set up our filter which is Dalomite. The pool is crystal clear and the levels seem to be fine.
However, every time my husband goes into the pool he gets this horrible rash along the inside of his thighs and stomach area. He tried changing the chlorine tablets to a different brand and changed the dalomite in the pool. Yesterday he went back in and by the evening he broke out in a horrible rash. We don't know what could be causing it but find it very upsetting as he enjoys being in the pool

Here are the numbers we need (not just "in range" or "perfect"):
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

And do not have a pool store do the test, because they are not reliable either.

If you only ever test pH and Chlorine, then you are missing a large part of the story. Most notably, the CYA which determines the chlorine (FC) levels you need to maintain according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Pool stores test for "free" so they can sell you stuff to "fix" your pool. They can and will do more harm than good.

Please look into buying your own test kit.

I am guessing there is something in your pool causing your husband's rash.

You talk about a mucus when you opened the pool. What did it look like? Did it smell?

Hugs to your pool husband!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you described that to me and said he was in the hot tub, I'd venture to guess folliculitis. Often from Pseudomonas and folks wearing the bathing suit long after getting out of the hot water so it sits on the skin allowing more chance to get into the skin pores.

I have no clue what dolamite is, but how is the rest of thr pool and how are your chemistry tests using your OWN Reliable-TFP Approved-SuperDuper Test kit? You might not be aware that we don't trust the *free tests* pool stores hand out (for too many reasons to type tonight) hoping you'll be talked in to buying something.

ok. I know you don't trust pool stores but this is what the test revealed. Saturation Idx -2.3. TDS 200. CYA 0. Tot. Chlorine 0.3 Free Chlorine 0. Ph. <6.2. Tot. Alkalinity 10.
adj. Total Alk 10. Tot. Hardness 313. There suggestion was to add 10.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 and 2 gallons of liquid shock. Hope this helps.

IF those results are any where correct your water is a mess :(

You REALLY need to get a test kit of your own. Does your pool store sell the Taylor 2006? If so PLEASE buy it NOW!

Here is a chart to tell you what your levels should be at:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

There is no wonder your husband has a rash. Tell him and everyone to stay out of the pool until you can get it balanced.

Kim

ok. I know you don't trust pool stores but this is what the test revealed. Saturation Idx -2.3. TDS 200. CYA 0. Tot. Chlorine 0.3 Free Chlorine 0. Ph. <6.2. Tot. Alkalinity 10.
adj. Total Alk 10. Tot. Hardness 313. There suggestion was to add 10.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 and 2 gallons of liquid shock. Hope this helps.

As others have said you really need a good test kit so you can take control
To add any Chems right, you also should know how many Gallons you pool is, I find this to be a good/easy Calc: Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR

If you need to raise PH, Balance Pak 100 is like $3.00 a lb where Baking soda is about $0.50 per lb and does a great job
You should do a deep dive into the Links Jason posted
BTW, Welcome to TFP!

As shown in this MSDS, BioGuard Balance Pak 100 is nothing more than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate aka sodium hydrogen carbonate). It is used to raise the TA but as was pointed out Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is IDENTICAL and a lot less expensive. So save the money you are spending with the pool store and please get a proper test kit instead.

10.5 pounds in a 10x18x4.5 foot oval pool (which would be 5300 gallons) would increase TA by 141 ppm which is way too much. I wouldn't add more than 5 or 6 pounds and then retest your pH and TA. If the pH is still somewhat low (say 7.0 or so), you can try aerating the water some to raise it.

Most likely the TA got low and the pH crashed (got very low) because Trichlor pucks were used and the water was not balanced. Trichlor is very acidic and consumes TA and lowers pH so you need to balance it with other chemicals to increase pH and TA. However, the continued use of Trichlor pucks also increases the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in the pool and that makes chlorine less effective to the point where algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. So after you get your test kit, you may find that the CYA level is too high and will need to do a partial drain/refill to lower it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.