Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

I don't know what to do. I have had my pool since I bought the home about 14 years ago. It was here when we moved in so I'm not real sure how old it is. When we opened it up this year it was fairly clean although it had quite a few spiders in it and what looked like white mucous in the pool. We got rid of all of it and set up our filter which is Dalomite. The pool is crystal clear and the levels seem to be fine.
    However, every time my husband goes into the pool he gets this horrible rash along the inside of his thighs and stomach area. He tried changing the chlorine tablets to a different brand and changed the dalomite in the pool. Yesterday he went back in and by the evening he broke out in a horrible rash. We don't know what could be causing it but find it very upsetting as he enjoys being in the pool
    I believe my pool is an above ground oval maybe 10 x 18. I have lived in the home for about 15 years and the pool was here when I bought it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please define "levels seem fine". We like numbers
    Odds are with some numbers (really need to be from a Recommended Test Kit) we can ID the problem and offer a solution.

What is Dalomite? Do you mean you have a DE filter?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add more pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I would assume it's a DE filter I think Hayward. He checked the levels yesterday and he said both the PH and the Chlorine were perfect. I can find out more from him later.
    I believe my pool is an above ground oval maybe 10 x 18. I have lived in the home for about 15 years and the pool was here when I bought it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Most of what I have read says rash comes from high PH. PH should be between 7.2 and 7.8 and measured when FC is below 10.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I guess I should find out all the info. I just feel so bad for him. He just started his vacation this week and was planning on relaxing by the pool but with this rash he can't. I will get all the info though.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are the numbers we need (not just "in range" or "perfect"):
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

And do not have a pool store do the test, because they are not reliable either.

If you only ever test pH and Chlorine, then you are missing a large part of the story. Most notably, the CYA which determines the chlorine (FC) levels you need to maintain according to the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

ok. I'll find out although I don't know if his test kit tests for all of that. He was thinking of bringing the water to a pool place to have it tested. Would that be better?

8. Back To Top    #8

Need to get one of these kits, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

No the pool store would not really be better since we tend not to trust their testing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool stores test for "free" so they can sell you stuff to "fix" your pool. They can and will do more harm than good.

Please look into buying your own test kit.

I am guessing there is something in your pool causing your husband's rash.

You talk about a mucus when you opened the pool. What did it look like? Did it smell?

Hugs to your pool husband!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

If you described that to me and said he was in the hot tub, I'd venture to guess folliculitis. Often from Pseudomonas and folks wearing the bathing suit long after getting out of the hot water so it sits on the skin allowing more chance to get into the skin pores.

I have no clue what dolamite is, but how is the rest of thr pool and how are your chemistry tests using your OWN Reliable-TFP Approved-SuperDuper Test kit? You might not be aware that we don't trust the *free tests* pool stores hand out (for too many reasons to type tonight) hoping you'll be talked in to buying something.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

Dolomite is a type of lime that you put down on your lawn to counter acidification of soil.

Is it possible your putting dolomite into your filter when you should be using diatomaceous earth instead?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

13. Back To Top    #13

Eh, you don't need tour husband to go take a picture or write down the filter brand and model. And a pic of the mystery additive you've been putting in there.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

ok. I know you don't trust pool stores but this is what the test revealed. Saturation Idx -2.3. TDS 200. CYA 0. Tot. Chlorine 0.3 Free Chlorine 0. Ph. <6.2. Tot. Alkalinity 10.
    adj. Total Alk 10. Tot. Hardness 313. There suggestion was to add 10.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 and 2 gallons of liquid shock. Hope this helps.

15. Back To Top    #15

IF those results are any where correct your water is a mess

You REALLY need to get a test kit of your own. Does your pool store sell the Taylor 2006? If so PLEASE buy it NOW!

Here is a chart to tell you what your levels should be at:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

There is no wonder your husband has a rash. Tell him and everyone to stay out of the pool until you can get it balanced.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

ok. So he put the stuff in the pool that they gave him and he's now had to bump it twice as the filter keeps dying. Did they at least tell him to put in the right stuff?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky347 View Post
    ok. I know you don't trust pool stores but this is what the test revealed. Saturation Idx -2.3. TDS 200. CYA 0. Tot. Chlorine 0.3 Free Chlorine 0. Ph. <6.2. Tot. Alkalinity 10.
    adj. Total Alk 10. Tot. Hardness 313. There suggestion was to add 10.5 lbs of Balance Pak 100 and 2 gallons of liquid shock. Hope this helps.
    As others have said you really need a good test kit so you can take control
    To add any Chems right, you also should know how many Gallons you pool is, I find this to be a good/easy Calc: Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR

If you need to raise PH, Balance Pak 100 is like $3.00 a lb where Baking soda is about $0.50 per lb and does a great job
    You should do a deep dive into the Links Jason posted
    BTW, Welcome to TFP!
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

18. Back To Top    #18

I have no idea what Balance Pack 100 is

PLEASE see about getting a good test kit.

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Kim I will.

Thanks EV. Glad I found you guys. My husband is really stubborn when it comes to certain things. He's the only one that goes in the pool though.

Anyway, ordered the test kit the TF-100.

20. Back To Top    #20

As shown in this MSDS, BioGuard Balance Pak 100 is nothing more than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate aka sodium hydrogen carbonate). It is used to raise the TA but as was pointed out Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is IDENTICAL and a lot less expensive. So save the money you are spending with the pool store and please get a proper test kit instead.

10.5 pounds in a 10x18x4.5 foot oval pool (which would be 5300 gallons) would increase TA by 141 ppm which is way too much. I wouldn't add more than 5 or 6 pounds and then retest your pH and TA. If the pH is still somewhat low (say 7.0 or so), you can try aerating the water some to raise it.

Most likely the TA got low and the pH crashed (got very low) because Trichlor pucks were used and the water was not balanced. Trichlor is very acidic and consumes TA and lowers pH so you need to balance it with other chemicals to increase pH and TA. However, the continued use of Trichlor pucks also increases the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level in the pool and that makes chlorine less effective to the point where algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. So after you get your test kit, you may find that the CYA level is too high and will need to do a partial drain/refill to lower it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast