Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ant killer bait dropped in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ant killer bait dropped in pool

I had one of these Amdro ant killer baits blow into or otherwise get knocked into the pool last night. Found it in the skimmer basket today, all the insecticide had dissolved.

AMDRO : Kills Ants Ant Killing Bait Stations : Overview

Will this cause an issue in a 10,000 gallon pool? I know my next question is bordering on heresy but I have some Phos Free leftover from before adopting TFP methods two years ago. Since I think it sort of forms a film on the cartridge filter might it help trap some of the chemical?

Here's the MSDS and label

http://www.amdro.com/~/media/Files/A...100501528.ashx

http://www.amdro.com/~/media/Files/A...Die_05559.ashx
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ant killer bait dropped in pool

The MSDS doesn't impress me much, but this sheet seems to indicate it's no big deal http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/hydratech.pdf

Hydramethylnon photodegrades with a half-life of 1 hour in water and 5 days in soil (sidebox indicates only 3% left after 5 hours)

Check out page 4. Rats ate it for 2 years to get cancer. Doesn't harm bees.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The amount of active ingredient is very small. Diluted in 10,000 gallons, there should not be a problem.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reassurance. The half life suggests it is about gone by now since the sun has been strong since 5:30 AM this morning
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

5. Back To Top    #5

I once had wasp poison control on the sprayer get I to my 10,000 gallon pool. The label was scary so I called them. They said no biggie. So I shrugged it off. That was some 7 years ago.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

6. Back To Top    #6

This link provides more detailed information, but is consistent with what was already stated. It gets very diluted in water and sunlight breaks it down so don't worry about it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

So if an ant falls into the pool and dies, it is likely going to be not from the poison (I saved a cricket yesterday...crawled into the skimmer).

8. Back To Top    #8

Most likely, if an ant did fall into the pool the worst he would experience is a case of debilitating ennui.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh that's why they die in pools....