Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Missing chunk repair in a concrete pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Missing chunk repair in a concrete pool

So I was getting out of the pool and something felt odd where i was stepping. I look down and It seems there is a big hole in the pool. The pool floor has cracked and brittled into pieces. Now I can see the shell (i believe of the pool)

After inspection It seems there was a crack down there and maybe weakened the top layer cause it to crack and brittle. How can I fix this? I will post pics
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Missing chunk repair in a concrete pool

You can see here that the top surface sort of collapsed. Im currently draining the pool. The collapsed area is maybe 2.5 inches long, while the crack is about 5 inches long

20150712_171834.jpg

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Missing chunk repair in a concrete pool

Update: There seemed to be a crack that I never saw. The water penetrated the plaster and caused the plaster to lift up sort of like a mosquito bite. Once stepped on it broke due to no support since it had lifted off the concrete shell.

I ended up draining the pool and I broke off all the lifted up parts by knocking on the plaster with my hand and listening to a hollow knock. If hollow I broke that part off and ended up from a 2" hole to a 7" hole. I then patched with leslies patch up mix (i looked for ez patch 1 but leslies doesnt carry it). Once patched I let it sit for 24 hrs just to be sure (the product say 10min and can also be applied underwater as per the instructions).

I noticed the paster was thinner on some sides of the hole. So i am currently looking into a renovation.