Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete decking about to go in. See any issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete decking about to go in. See any issues?

They were supposed to start on my decking last week but for various reasons did not. They showed up to start working on it when we were out of town for the weekend and I believe they will finish getting it ready for concrete tomorrow and pour tomorrow or Tuesday. I am worried about settling because of how they had to build up the deck. Is there anything I should look for as a sign that we will have problems with settling? Is what they have done with pushing the dirt up against the sides enough?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete decking about to go in. See any issues?

Not sure about the settling, but I would think the concrete should be 4" thick .... looks a little thin near the coping. Or maybe it has not been compacted yet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

pushing the dirt up there should hold it. Im assuming there is going to be a retaining wall installed at some point?

My first thought was compaction, but I see the compacting machines, so that's good. Other than not having any rebar yet, I dont see any issue.

Looks like it gonna be really nice when done, with a BIG deck! Very nice!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Two issues --

Are they using rebar or wire in the slab-- I agree the slab looks thin -- more for pavers over sand than concrete.

Second they need to install a bonding grid under or in the slab. 2014 NEC 680.26(B)(2)(a)
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Be on the lookout for chicken bones too..lol Seems like the every time my decking crew is at the house I find chicken bones between the rebar. I guess once they pour then out of sight is out of mind. I thought it was a tradition at first, but makes me wonder.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

The rebar is on site so I am guessing they will be doing that today. I'm gonna hang around for a while and visit with them a bit. My father used the same PB 13 years ago and part of his decking dropped about 5 inches so I am just a bit nervous but don't really know what to look for.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100